1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Supplier in Chicagoland Area?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by newlooklandscp, Dec 19, 2005.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Im asking again. Might p*ss some people off but if anyone can help, please do. Im looking for a bulk salt supplier in the chicagoland area that can either:

A) Load me up at their site during normal business hours or
    B) Load me up at their site 24/7

Payment is not a problem, I have the room for salt, just dont have the equipment to load myself up. Looking to use about a ton, 2 ton max a snow fall.

Thanks Agian,
    Ken - New Look Landscaping

2. JOEC

JOEC Member

Bulk Salt

How much are you looking to pay per ton? Do you have a dump or vbox? Don't you have anyone local?

3. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Im looking to pay between $50-$80 per/ton, I am hearing about $65 is average. Im also in the process of purchasing a Vbox but as of right now I have an F450 Dump w/ a SnowEx 1075. I have found 2 local guys. One never has enough salt so he can't sell to me (he's asking $65) and the other I talked to today but wants $85.00 per/ton, but he runs his crews zero tollerance with snow and ice so more than likely he will be avaliable almost 24/7 before a storm which is a plus.

4. JOEC

JOEC Member

where are the other guys located? When do you go out and salt? I know of a company in franklin park who deals with bulk? FG

5. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

newlook,

I think the only way to assure your customers the "on-time" quality service they deserve is to take the plunge and invest in a loader, yard space, salt bin construction of choice and salt.($15K-$35K) You need to take the plunge like so many others on this site have done.

If I were you I would be happy to pay even $100 per yard/loaded as long as you can count on your bulk salt supplier.

Good luck!

6. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

JOEC,
    The one supplier is Hoy Landscaping in Forest Park (they are the ones that never have enough salt), the second is Always Landscaping in Villa Park (yard in Northlake - $85 per/ton - salt is enclosed in huge heated garage). I use about a ton when we get flurries and ice (only salt the zero tollerance accounts) and after a big storm I use about 2 tons at the most for ALL my accounts.

ChicagoSnow,

Thanks for the input, I do have a gigantic yard and plenty of room just no loader. Im not that big in snow removal yet but within the next year or two Im looking into a CAT skid steer. The price per load isnt a huge deal its not like I dont have the money. Im just looking to get out of bags and the labor of have to move bag after bag after bag.

Thanks for the input. JOEC let me know if you can help.

7. JOEC

JOEC Member

Get a vbox i'll get you loaded. Not for nothing but the accounts that you have justify having a vbox. Thats a pretty big investment for dealing with bulk salt. When i started in this business I had a tailgate for three years. I had a meathook and a pull behind for two years. First year push spreader. Now I have bulk spreaders but the accounts justify them. I'll hook you up with salt just make sure it's the right choice about a vbox. I've got enough salt we bring in semi's after every storm with reserves.

8. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Im in the process of looking at a used 8' Hi-way Super P Model (the one that the guy posted on plowsite asking how much it was worth as well as on ebay). It has a top screen but no inverted V. I think with a good price I wouldnt have an issue picking it up. Im also looking at a new 9' Hi-way MP Model with Extension (for a dump truck), inverted V, and top screen. I was told through Temco Equipment the 9' MP New would be about $3900.00 with tax and all. What do you think? Should I go with another company, make, model, new, used? or plastic? electric? Any suggestions?

JOEC,
    That would be great. Where are you located? Price per ton? Availability?
    If you want to email me with that information and yours, if you dont want to post on plowsite.com. My email is newlooklandscp@aol.com. Or my business number is 847-451-0129. Look forward to speaking with you.