1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mike247, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Mike247

Mike247 Junior Member

I'm looking into a spreader for my chevy 3500 diesel mason dump. Any recommendations. Was looking at the tornado. My question is.. Can the salt be stored as well in the spreader of I didn't use it all in one storm? I have no way of storing it so I was just gonna fill it up at the bull salt place.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Depends on how lucky you feel

3. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Storage of salt

I would not recommend doing this. Salt has a very likely chance of turning to one solid rock. Best bet is to plan on going to a local bulk salt supplier (normally readily available with salt for you, this year may be a bit more challenging).

4. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I had 500lb left in my hopper last year and it froze, took me 3 hours to free it up. having to dump it onto my driveway as I scooped it out. now I have a shop. If you can store your truck in 50 degree or more shop over night you can leave the hopper full all you want

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It really depends. Last year I did it in my fisher polycaster and had much better luck than I did with my old open one.

I usually try to only buy what I need per storm but it is easier said than done sometimes. Last year I left straight salt in the hopper 5 diferent times, 4 of those times it was fine, the last time it froze up pretty good on me. Hit it with a metal bar to break it all up

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Never leave it in there more than a few days though

7. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I would recommend NOT leaving it in your spreader unless you have extra time on your hands to wash it out. OR you have a heated garage...

We were having salt freeze in our spreaders by Philadelphia multiple times last year because of how cold it was getting down to. So we'd plow, then run back to the shop to load up 1-2 tons, then have to spread within a half hour and then repeat for the next site.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So it's fine in a heated shop then?

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes"..........:nod:

10. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

X2... I would also recommend to open or remove any cover it has while in heated environment to let any mostiure escape.

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How cold did it get to that you had to use it all in 30 minutes or less?

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Happened to me last year in IL, get on site plow a section salt it down, plow a section salt it down etc. was so cold the salt would start to freeze up in the hopper relatively quickly

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Sorry for asking dumb questions, just New to salt, can I leave it loaded for say a month?

Last winter got pounded Dec and January then Feb went twice, so would like it to just be ready.

Also this would be sand and salt mixed, probably in a V box

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I wouldn't unless you're feeling really lucky when you park it

15. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Inside a heated shop? Why not? We will be leaving our big 33gvw truck loaded all winter now that we have a heated warehouse.

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

If that's hydralic its not as big as a deal as a little electric vbox

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Heated at 55+ it will still chunk up?

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Couldn't tell you. Never tried It. im too fat and lazy to shovel it out if it freezes lol

I imagine it would cost you quite a bit of money to keep a grage at 55 as well

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Got a heated shop, I could just dump windshield washer fluid on it couldn't I?

Got

20. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I was wondering this also, but I wonder if there's a certain amount of gallons per pounds of salt or yards added