1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by flykelley, Oct 1, 2010.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    Looks like Im going to stockpile my own bulk salt this year. Plan on mafia blocks and will have to tarp it this year. Not sure if Im going to pour a cement pad or not. Are there any DNR rules when it comes to bulk salt storage? Does it have to be on a cement pad? Anything that I should know would be great.

Thanks Mike

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Go-Plow.com has an article about Rule 5 in Michigan. It talks about Salt and Brine Storage..I dont know if it pertains to you...But you might want to check it out.....

3. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

have your plan ready and contact the DNRE. i wonder what the fine would be if they wanted to ticket anyone with over 5 tons of salt on hand?

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I read rule 5 and it seems like you need a plan and contact the state but I don't see what type of plan they want, I would guess a hazard spill plan but how do you have a spill with salt unless it gets wet and weeps into the ground.

Mike

5. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Maybe think about having 5 diff 4.99 ton salt bins. I know not so many ppl go through the right process here. But we also are not told the "correct" process from the state. You can call but most the time you just get the run around.

6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Store bulk inside and you shouldn't have a problem. Notify the local FD about how much and when it will be stored there. Salt causes a major issue with firemen. They will probably make you put a placard marking hazardous or flammable material on the building. Inside is the easiest but not cheapest. Technically you shouldn't be able to get in trouble if you are inquiring about fixing your system or building one...theyre not supposed to ticket you but they can, and fighting it is a PITA. Just go through your zoning board with your county, apply to your state, and get approval and have them come out prestructure.

I am building my own and was in hopes of being done for this season, but planning and getting approved is the hardest part. It is worth what you save in tickets and lawsuits though. This is a "bored, long term" project. It will probably take a year to get a structure approved and built. Mine will be done next fall. It is a building with overhead doors, and is sealed and insulated. We are using a full size SS or two to load. Look into steel or pole barn construction. Make a sub structure with your mafia block bins and "parking poles" inside to keep from damaging the building. Control runoff if they are dumping the materials on the pad outside. Someone else will monitor it if you do not. My project has been ongoing since 1975 by my grandfather. My father and some other guys plowed in the 80's and it was modified then for salt specific. In 1998 it was almost done but the same guy from 1980 decided not to use that lot and got another. Here I am in 2010 with all of the new regulations, modifying what we did in the 70's on it....20 years before I was even born...
    So I know a lil about the developement, but each state has dif. *and badly stated* regulations

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

Halite and firefighting ????????????????????

Your statement about Halite and firefighting has me a bit puzzled??

Halite is non combustable.

Halite in the presence of other substances
    is non combustable to 801 degress Centigrade.

Firefighting media and instructions

Non Combustable

Special remarks on explosion hazards

Not applicable

Salt no matter the type is a fresh water pollutant

Some types of rendered salts are hazardous and flammable but Halite is not.

The implementation of a small upright silo such as those used to fill cement mixers are well within

pollution control regulations and as long as they are properly installed with adequate foundations and

maintained there is no issue with the M.D.N.R. E., D.E.C., N.Y.C D.E.P. etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

801 degrees sounds like a lot but it is not. and also it has to do with what most salt could be treated with. My father has been a fireman for 30 or more years...He told me it was a PITA for firemen....not that it was just flammable. I'll ask him why, I'm going to his place tmr. I'm thinking maybe noxious gas in an inferno. I honestly don't know, I just know I had to contact his station. It may be a county thing...let me dig through my billion page development file....I remember something....:dizzy: Its worth checking for him tho...better to call them ahead of time then get an inspector for the FD/PD writing big tickets.

9. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Just now noticed you posted in centigrade.....lol. most bull headed Americans like myself assume F not any other intelligent system. Lol. Just now reread that and thought wow that guys needs to pull his head out...wait its me lol

10. leon

leon Senior Member

more on salt storage

A few things to either help or muddy the water etc.

You would have to have the salt delivered with a pnuematic tanker
    but it would be worth it as the salt will be DRY because it has to be
    and be able to flow properly and avoid the mess and worries about
    dealing with the salt police.

Attached Files:

11. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Its probably the magnesium chloride agents and the reactions with foams

The sulfuric acid and baking soda streams were so much safer and simpler to use.

12. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

more help with regard to storage

www.cementsilos.com

These folks have towable silos which are road legal and sealed.

I have a picture of the 800 cubic foot model in the previous post and

the drawing below is a bigger one that can be erected and used for

storage on a temporary basis.

The sytems are legal and have no issues.

350PortDwg.jpg

13. leon

leon Senior Member

silos

Here is another model for bulk and they will keep your sand dry as well too fwiw.

Attached Files:

14. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

You can build a simple building with mafia blocks and a pad. Most go with a concrete pad , which will break down over time. The new shed that we are building will have an asphalt floor because it is impermeable and quick to lay down. Then come the mafia blocks, and a $2500.00 coverall building. I have a built a few storage buildings for salt. If you have more questions on a simple solution PM me I will send you pictures of ours. Thanks Collin

15. jeff70

jeff70 Junior Member
    from Mass

salt storage

I built a pole barn 4 bay one bay lined with plastic and planking to protect the walls,blacktop pad and sliding door no salt police here i hope never heard of them have it raised up and plan on keeping it dry at possible will this work?