1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Storage on Well Water Supplied Property

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the construction techniques, precautions, short or long term risk ,etc. when storing bulk salt on land that has a underground well for it's water supply.

Thanks again,

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Good question. I have wondered this myself. It is done quite frequently out here in the country, but they are almost always on asphalt, wrapped in barriers, and covered.
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I doubt there is really any true issues......it only take 3 feet of dirt / sand to filter water and make it clean......that being said.....take what ever precautions deemed as necessary
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I might have the same scenario soon :)
  5. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Two cents

Mostly what i have read in the past say it must be covered and in some sort of bunker with a hard floor like a asphalt or concrete floor.Most county's are making it mandatory and a Law that it be covered or to even be indoors.In the last link i posted it states that the epa doesnt regulate road salt use but im sure in time it will.I'm sure it will effect your water in time,just like fuel storage tanks.The EPA is starting to crack down on tanks without spill containment basins around them.Heres some cool links that explain where some laws are and what salt does. , The one from Maine is pretty interesting. Best to cover.http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/docstand/sandsalt/whattoknow.htm
  6. ChicagoSnow

Ok, I will take a look.

I wonder if a Phase 1 environmental test will pick up previous areas where salt was stored?

What do you think?

By the way, is salt considered a soil contaminant to warrant extreme soil remediation if discovered in the soil?

7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Just keep it up high, so surface water is not running through the pile, then keep it covered.

You ever see the piles at the barge terminals? Very often on gravel, not pavement.

You will lose some into the ground if it's not seperated by pavement or other good barrier.

Septic systems must be at least 75 feet from a well in IL for what that's worth.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the salt institute they have storage plans/suggestions. Also check with local DEC:dizzy:. Good luck
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Concrete or asphalt pad.....with concrete or asphalt curbing around it. they have asphalt curbs around the piles at the port of milwaukee.
  10. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

I would put it on an impermeable pad whether it be concrete or asphalt, make sure no surface water will flow into/ through the pile, and there are a huge number of ways to cover the pile. You could go to the salt institute website and look at that their storage suggestions. JMO
  11. GSJ

GSJ Junior Member
    from W. MI

Depending on how much & how long salt is allowed to wash onto the soil it can penetrate much deeper than 3' into the soil. Your best bet would be to have enough room to completely cover the pile at all times and ideally have enough room to load under the covered area.
  12. ChicagoSnow

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

To summarize: As long as the bulk salt in on a non-permeable pad, is covered, has no contact with water at or above grade, has adequate surrounds to keep any salt spillage from reaching the ground than all should be fine in regard to well water.

This is what I thought, but just trying to learn from others experiences in regard to this circumstance.

Anyone have any idea on how or who to hire to analyze an existing well's water quality to determine it's current state before storing bulk salt (as specified above) on or near? I want to cover all the bases(try to anyway) before stepping forward.

13. HVAC Guy

HVAC Guy Member
    from Chicago

Thats A NICE Looking Truck!
  14. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

You should beable to find a water test kit at sears or even call a well company,for them to test your water.
  15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Just Build A Simple Salt Shed, This Small One Can Hold Up To 25 Ton If You Stack It With A Small Loader, Cost About $1500 to Build Concrete, Blocks And Cover All. You Can Get All Of These Products Locally To Build It.

Theres Pictures Here Of It. Good Luck

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Joe, The county health dept. can test water for you. They should have sample containers you can pickup. I dont remember what they charge, but it was not a whole heck of a lot of money.
  17. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

I would store it on blacktop if possible and covered. if any leeching happens after that I guess you will use a little less water softener salt.! Just do your best to keep any runoff from entering water supply ie. streams, rivers, and through ground permiation. Great question though, Im glad to see people being concerned about runoff!!