1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Situation in and around Chicago?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vicen, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Vicen

Vicen Junior Member
    from PA

Hows the bulk rock supply in and around Chicago, IL as of 1/28/2009? Easy to get? Hard to get? Prices fair or are they in the ozone layer..?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Are you looking to buy? Sell? Or curious for some unknown reason? :confused:

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Depends on the company really. If they planned ahead like maybe March or April of 2008 they are probably in pretty good shape. If they waited till the 1st snowfall or have no where to store it and did not pre-order from their supplier, not so good.

Prices are high yes. Availability again depends on who ya know and what you are willing to spend.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

not really a problem getting smaller quantities. Prices are 120-160 a ton unless you have a deal already in hand. muni's have been mixing lots of sand and liquid but .... this too will end soon.

5. Vicen

Vicen Junior Member
    from PA

Bulk rock to sell...

I have bulk rock to sell. It seems like $120/ton is the lower end of the pricing I'm hearing. I can sell bulk rock @ $120/ton FOB pick up in Chicago, IL. I have plenty, I can arrange delivery. It also a nice white salt. My pile is at Midwest Marine Terminal. :bluebounc

6. syzer

syzer Member

Wow, we are paying $86.00 a ton here.

7. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

Where is here??

8. PSR Manager

PSR Manager Junior Member

My salt supplier is located in Lake Bluff and their stock of bulk salt is running low. I do have pallets of bag rock salt at all of my properties as a reserve but may be looking into finding a new supplier. Currently we are paying $165/ton for bulk salt which is the cheapest we can find. Does anyone know of any suppliers that are selling bulk salt cheaper than that near the Chicago area?

9. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

did i miss somthing? the guy who made the original post is selling for 120 in chicago