1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Shortage Already?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bah1491, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Already used up our 100 tons we committed to purchase. We CANNOT find anywhere to get 20 ton plus loads of bulk salt.

We are in southeastern Ohio-

Does anyone know anywhere I can get a load or two from?
  2. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

We are facing the same thing here in NW Ohio...... I am trying to get together with some other guys so we can get something at a half way decent price, if we can find it.
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Same here in Chicago. But I am set up for 400 ton and have only used 180. Somehow the rest of my dedicated salt has disappeared
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's considered an allotment not a contract. If you have a contract for 400 tons you have to take the 400 tons no matter what even on a year where you only used 200. To anyone looking for salt I'd be getting what I can and forget about looking for a good deal. Everyone is looking for salt and it's a hot commodity right now.
  5. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Iowa is out of treated and that is all we use. My supplier supposedly has plenty of non treated but I'm keeping the sheds full. Not a good situation to be in on Jan 20
  6. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Finally, found someone to send us a load Thursday, and possibly another vendor to send another load this week too....

To do list for 2014-2015 snow season:
    - triple the size of our salt bin
    -commit to buy more salt!

What is the issue with the salt? It's not like it's been a horrible winter in ohio.... I don't think anyways...
  7. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Salt isn't really local, If a mine can get more cash for it in PA or North of the border because those areas are hammering through it then that's where it's going. Hence commodity.
  8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Our salt contracts are set up as at least 80 and up to 120%. As in if you commit to 100 tons, you are required to buy 80 tons, and if available, they will supply you up to 120 tons at that price.

The big issue now, is that the suppliers I use also supply the DOT, and the way the contract with the DOT is written, they have to be priority..... AKA, I could have ordered a truckload 3 weeks ago, and the DOT could call and order 10,000 tons today, and the salt co has to supply the DOT before they are allowed to haul to me.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Dave, my supplier has already issued us notice that we are down to sand/salt blends because they can no longer guarentee the supply... say its province wide? They are looking at trucking in from out of province and even from the US! I know on a small snow they sell 4-5 semi-loads of bulk per day...

Small time contractors who do limited business with them have been cut right off, (as well as two large companies due to lack of payment), the rest of us will be getting sand/salt to stretch the supply.

Property mangers aren't happy, but they need to be realistic.

I have very little stockpiled, almost none left due to the skid steer being out of order with electrical failure...

They tell me the reserves at the mines are allocated for road use only now, and the production cannot keep up with the demands...
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Allotment\commitment\contract\whatever, all the same and I am in the same boat as you Jim. Salt wise, not really delivery wise.

The company that hauls most of ours is the supplier for a lot of counties, cities and possibly MDOT. They handle Morton and North American. They do a good job of keeping me filled, always have but we've been with them for about 20 years. If I really need it, they've gotten it to me in less than 4 hours. I do my best to not really need it.

Pretty sure I've always hit my 80%, but I have never heard of them charging anyone that hasn't, either. They understand the weather. Even in '08 when I was way, way over my commitment\allotment\contract, they kept on supplying me.
  11. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

We have bought 80% of our allotment from one supplier. I use Morton and North American as well. They are both main suppliers to PADOT and OHDOT. It's not the trucking company that has the requirement to supply the DOT first, its Morton and North American (at least that is what my sales people have told me). They are normally pretty good about getting me some as quickly as possible (usually within a day) if I am getting to be in a real pinch. Also have some really good friends in connected places that will loan me a load if need be....
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've had our accounts for close to 40 years and I'm thinking of changing the way we do things now. Salt is a commodity just like corn and soybeans to me. If I sign a contract to buy 1000 tons that salt is mine at the agreed upon price no matter what happens. There are also companies offering prebuy now and they guarantee your supply. Prebuying really isn't any more expensive either your just laying all the money out in Nov for the rest of the season.
  13. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

No problem getting the salt over here, I just hit my mark on the tonnage I commited too. Sucks, I just bought a truck to haul 10 tons at a time and now Im at my limit. Big Big pile of salt at the dock too.....
  14. bah1491

bah1491 Member

Found someone to deliver 25 ton tomorrow....thank god

KAABCO SNOW Junior Member

milwaukee same thing no salt whats so ever crazy
  16. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

It is getting to be a similar situations here around Minneapolis. It is available but the prices are going up%50 plus.
    We have gone through around 200 ton and only projected to use 300. We purchased a 100 ton to be delivered in the next 2 days because of fear of supplies running out. Our problem is our bin only holds 40 ton so tomorrow I am spending the morning making room for the extra.
  17. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

You could store some at our shop:D:D
  18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt pile here in Columbus is still holding.. just got 100 ton, think by next week they will be cutting us contractors off.
  19. bah1491

bah1491 Member

The load I got was from Cleveland. Not sure if this guy snuck a load to me or what.... From what I've heard everything is just for municipalities. Unreal.

So I was thinking about this on Tuesday as I was trying to find salt-

What happens if we, us, you ( contractors) run out of salt? How do you explain that to clients.
  20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't run out of salt....you do whatever it takes to get it. Its available somewhere. Find it. A couple years ago we sent trucks daily to Minnesota from Milwaukee to bring us salt because that's where we could get it. Not the customers fault....