1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by P&J Lawncare, Oct 7, 2002.

1. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

What is everybody paying for bulk salt this year.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was quoted $50/ton at the port.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

$55 a ton here. Was told I could get a "good discount" if I buy a bulk amount. Not sure what that means. Will be finding out more this week as salt and sand is on my punch list.

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

$38/ton

5. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

$34.50 a ton

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

50.00 per ton, including trucking (25 ton minimum).

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

$49 a ton, including trucking. Still waiting on the price if we pick it up.

Also, still waiting on pricing from With A Grain Of Salt. Last year, WGS gave us a locked in price of $38 a ton, picked up at the port. Delivered was $43 - $47 a ton.

~Chuck

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

41.50 /delivered

9. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

$42.00 per ton delivered. I'll have to call for pick-up price.

10. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We are paying $46.00 per ton picked up. The prices stayed the same from last year.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

SLC1

Who is your supplier?

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

$55.00 a ton loaded in the spreader

13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I am slacking, I havent gotten any quotes for my 20 tons that I will need this winter, P.J., where are you getting yours from, Kuhlman, Cargil or Andersons?

14. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

20 ton? that's like not even a full load. We usually use 35 ton per storm. Maybe you meant 20 loads?

15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I am glad that you are the one applying 35 tons per snow.

Last year we got a whole 8" and used 1 ton out of 5 that we had at the shop... and yes I meant 20 tons.

~Nate~

16. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Last year was our second year doing snow. We put out almost 20 tons during a heavy icing event last season, but closer to 12 tons was our norm.

We are most likely to grow by 50% this season, so those numbers will increase by about 50%.

For those who have yet to figure it out, salt is where all the money is at. If you are only plowing, you are missing out on the majority of your potential income.

17. Chuck Smith

from NJ

"For those who have yet to figure it out, salt is where all the money is at. If you are only plowing, you are missing out on the majority of your potential income."

Exactly. You will typically plow once suring a storm, but salt twice.

Do the math. payup payup payup

~Chuck

18. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Chuck, I've got to disagree not all the money

I think it makes a big difference as what your contracts say, all mine are 2" start plow & every 2" after. A 6.5" snow means I plow 3 times example 1 lot I do is $750.00 every 2" if I salt it's only $450.00 & if I salt the whole lot the snow might not stick & only get to plow twice. ;) So I plow 3 times =$2250.00 & salt the entrance, exits & drives twice $250.00 & salt entire lot 1 time for $450.00. :D Total is $2950.00 now that's making the most $$$$$ out of a snow. If I plow & salt twice it's only worth $2400.00. I understand each & every place is different so plow triggers & contracts are different as to location state to state.

Now if it's only a 1.5" snow I do salt so in that regard I make $450.00 so if you don't have a salt spreader you're not making easy money for the taking ;) .

19. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I have to agree with Chuck. You have to look at your net profit not gross. Plowing will gross more but salting is more profitable.

John

20. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Naturally it will vary from company to company too. It is less overhead to send out your crews to salt than to plow. The profit margin is higher salting than plowing.

You might need 5 drivers to plow your route(s), but only 2 to just salt them.

I was actually quoting SnoJob, but also agreeing with him :)

If a 3" - 4" storm is forecasted, we pre salt the entire lot. Then plow at the 2" trigger. Then salt again. Then plow the remainder, followed by another salting. All of these saltings are aimed at preventing the bond from forming, and preventing hardpack. We charge "per application" for salt. It might be a light application, or a heavy one, it is at our descretion. We typically apply light, unless conditions (temps) call for a heavy one.

The main gist is that salting is a profit center that many plowers miss out on. That we all agree on.

~Chuck