1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt pickup locations Chicago north burbs?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Northsnow, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Northsnow

Northsnow Member

Converting to bulk salt this year and I already have one supplier for pickupo, problem is reliability. Have to call, wait for them to get there, etc. Looking for reccomendations for other suppliers / pick up locations near Palatine, Mt. Prospect, Libertyville? Any help would be appreciated. Just tried to google for half an hour and no luck yet. Found some in Seneca, but that would be an hour each way, not so good during a storm. Thanks for the help.

2. tracigroup

tracigroup Junior Member

The Material Yard in Mundelein , Arlington Power in Palatine and Lester's Material in Grays Lake ....... if you use Lester's just be sure you the one with the Buffalo logo , good people , the other guy (Lester's Nursery L/S and Const.) is a scamer......

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

There was a nursery or landscape supply on Dundee or Lake Cook Rd' just East of 294 that was selling bulk last year. I forgot the name

4. The Garden Guru

The Garden Guru Member

I know Shemins in Addison and Landscape Depot in Lombard both have bulk and bag. Both are off I355 as well

5. weevensteven

weevensteven Junior Member

bulk salt

we use menoni maconi on rt.41 at park ave west in highland park

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Lowes in Cary

It's always dry and clean. 82.50 per ton during normal hours. 10 more after they close. Open 6-3:30 and normally have people there during the storms, however I would recommend going there during the day before and just figure out how to keep it dry.

7. The Garden Guru

The Garden Guru Member

Wow Lowes is selling bulk salt? That's a bold move to make for a big box store. I've been seeing it for $82 ton and $79 ton down this way

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

Not the same place. This is an excavating company

9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Red's garden center on dundee rd. 105 yd during normal hours, 115 during storm ( after hours) good salt... usually there within 10 minutes of calling to get loaded.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

They have been pretty reliable for years as well.
    Still selling it next to the Hollows on RT.14?

11. The Garden Guru

The Garden Guru Member

Ah ok. What does Reds and Lowes consider "After Hours"? I'm curious about that

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

Yes. If I ran out they are my back up. Last few years the salt they have gotten has been very clean, very dry, only complaint is they don't always have someone there at all hours... I have called before... And between getting her there, starting the loader, scaling,...it was 3 hours. So just go load when they are open

13. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Red's is extremely reliable i live down the street in northbrook, i can wake up at 1:30 in the AM call and someone will be there loader ready in 30 minutes on average... longest i ever had to wait was 1 hour.... after business hours... so whenenver they close to whenever they open....

14. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

at reds they are now charging by yard? how much does there yard weigh?

15. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

when i go to menoni, i get about a half ton, and it costs me around, $60 with tax, im just trying to find the best deal

16. Northsnow

Northsnow Member

does anyone have a number for afterhours for any of these guys? kinda in a bind at the moment.....

17. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

where are u at?

18. Northsnow

Northsnow Member

hey- thanks for the reply. Im in palatine and could really use 2 1/2 tons now....clients calling and my supply yard has not been answering his "emergency line" for 3 hours!

19. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

reds garden center in northbrook 847 417 1350

20. Northsnow

Northsnow Member

RMC....you are a LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!