1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt options and question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike33, Sep 9, 2014.

1. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I started last year using bulk salt with my new Boss v-box and had good luck for first year. Last year I paid 64.00/ ton and 18.00 ton to truck to my shop so lets say a 22 ton load net cost. $1,804.00. This year it will be 76 /ton and say again 22 ton load net cost $2,068.00. I have an old contact in Baltimore a couple dollars on ton cheaper but trucking will cost me almost twice the price from 18 to 30.00 ton to truck. The big question I have the company out of Baltimore had bulk salt sprayed with magnesium chloride and color is green. Rep said it works better, freezes up less, and color is green so you can see where it is. Is this any feature worth the extra price its 84.00 / ton trucking 30.00/ ton 22 ton load $2,508.00. So would it be worth $440.00 more to use? I only froze up twice last year and was easy thawed by windshield fluid my own fault for letting truck sit out that day, second time I bridged and was able to beat on sides and get it. I have 2 solutions this year. First I already have a place to store 40 ton under roof and a 30x40 garage to park truck in. This year I insulted it and in few weeks installing a furnace so I will have a heated garage. Second ting is I just ordered a dual vibrator unit for my v-box easy to install and control box is already programmed for it with button.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's all we use. Treated. Yes it's better. And you can see where you have salted so you might actually use less.
    You could charge more for a better product as well
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We only use mag for sidewalks.

Straight rock salt for everything else.
  4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

In theory its supped to cost you less or maybe about the same. The idea is to cover the same area with less salt reducing your salt usage and increasing your profit. The salt works faster too especially when its really cold out like around the -20 Celsius or 4 on your scale even the 14 mark. I've used similar products with good success.

The green salt is the stuff from Cargill called clearlane. I've only used the Magic salt and Thawrox from Sifto. Both did the job well.

5. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Interested in treated vs untreated as well. My cost is about $10/ton diff. I'm leaning hard towards the treated.

Also, how did the vbx work out for you last year? Conveyor or auger? That's the spreader I'd like to get.
  6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

It worked great had issue at first of freezing up the motor that is got hot at 5 degree but Boss called it back the fluid was to thick easy fix. I only froze twice both times my fault left truck sit out allday in cold high winds, other time it bridged but easy fix just dumped some wiper fluid in and 5 minutes working. Mine is the chain threw 80 + ton worked great.