1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt - Northbrook 125 per ton

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NorthernSvc's, Nov 13, 2009.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Just letting you all know who work around me, Red's garden center in northbrook, IL, off of dundee road will be selling bulk rock salt by the yard.
    They WILL be open 24 hours during snow storms, contact Red's garden center and ask for Ryan Reece - tell him i sent you, for more information ( he is my brother in law).

$125 - 8-5PM, after 5PM till 8AM price will go up $20.00

salt will be covered and the have plenty...

2. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Wow

Theres a deal

:rolleyes:

3. F-7

F-7 Junior Member

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You can get 2 tons for that here.

5. NorthernSvc's

must be nice!!! but i don't feel like storing, loading, cleaning, dealing with extras..... it's nice to just show up and buy exactly what i need...

6. NorthernSvc's

i don't use more than 2 yards per event

7. cretebaby

I do all of that too.:nod:

8. NorthernSvc's

must be nice...

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

$65 a ton here and 24 hour service during storms. Best price in cleveland!

10. NorthernSvc's

unfortunately there are no major distributors in my area... and the other 2 places that carry salt around me are about the same price...

11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Sounds like someone else should open up nearby.

12. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Where in Eastern Iowa are you getting that price?

13. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

YES REDS is awsome i buy there now!! ryan is a great guy but does any one know where i can get bags of Salt cheeper than $4.25 a bag in chicago land? 50 lbs

14. cretebaby

North of you. :alien:

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i don't get some of you guys...he's just trying to be helpful

16. I know it's totally different Canada to US, But Check Costco. Their price was $3.99 a bag and I spoke to the store manager and got a better price on 2 skids. Normally Canada is more expensive than the US

Worth a try.

All he's doing is letting people know about another option, No need to hammer him on the price.. Last time I checked the US still ran on the free enterprise system.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  17. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

being helpful is giving someone a good deal. 125/ton in chicago is about as big a rip off as you can get. we get ours for around 70 picked up or 75 delivered. I guess it's convenient to just arrive and get bulk and its cheaper than bags, but this is far from a great deal!!

18. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

who said being helpful is related to a good deal? if you need salt bad enough he told you who has it..that's helpful

19. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It seems really steep at first, but consider that it's $125 per yard (which should weigh 2150#) so it's more like $116/ton if bucketed correctly. Still a little steep, but if they can service during active events it's not all that hairy for the smaller guys that don't really want to have to maintain a bulk pile.

For comparison, 50# bags @ $4 are $160/ton and you have to hand load it (while trying not to kill yourself in the process).

All in all, it's a decent deal for some folks, and has the potential to be the only deal at times.

20. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

22 dollars a ton

We only pay about 22 dollars a ton in Salt Lake City, MMMMMMMMMMMMMM wonder why.