1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Lean To

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by allseasons87, Jan 9, 2014.

1. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Hey everyone,

Hope it's been a profitable year for everyone so far.

We're looking to build an addition to the back of our shop, a storage lean to for bulk salt in the winter and bulk mulch/topsoil in the summer months.

We looking into constructing the one like below, just much larger and with siding to match our shop. Asphalt flooring, with about 4 feet high of mortared block around the sides, and most likely higher in the back. I've thought about a mafia block and canvas roof, but my shop is on the same property as my house, and I'm looking to keep it looking similar to the siding of the shop.

If anyone has any plans, experience, or pros-cons of a building like this, please chime in. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Build it bigger than you think you need. When I started working in this business the guy I worked for built exactly what you're thinking about. I use the space now for my salt but it's bigger now. In the second picture you can see the original wall of the "lean too."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Thats a really nice bin. Are those plywood sides all around? How many tons can you get in there? As of right now, we would need around 30 tons delivered at a time, but it would be nice to grow into it as time goes on.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It's aluminum siding the plywood is just there to protect it. It was originally a lean too for pickled sand, then storage. Now salt. Asphalt floor 80 ton and she's full. I only use about 100 ton a season.