1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt lean-to design ideas...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dig-it Landscap, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

I am planning a bulk salt/equipment storage lean-to and need help on ideas. I have a corner of my property that I plan on having this built on over the summer for next season.

What I have come up with so far:

The building will be roughly 84'Lx24'Wx12'T. It will be a lean-to style with the front completely open except for the posts. It will be a wooden structure with sheet metal siding (on 3 sides) and roofing to match my shop. The post will be 12' on center (pending engineer approval) across the length of the building. This will separate it into 7 bays 12'W and 24' L. The 2 bays on the left will have mafia blocks creating 2 bulk storage areas. These areas will be used for sand and gravel in summer and salt in winter. After you subtract the area that the mafia blocks will take up, it will leave 2 bays 10'W and 22' L and 8'T. This is enough for 65CY each completely full. In reality 2 semi loads per bay. The other 5 bays will be used to store older trucks and equipment to protect them from the elements. The building will be positioned to best protect the stored items from the elements even with the open side.

My questions are:

Is there a way to span a 24'W building without using a traditional type truss? A traditional truss will shorten the opening in the front significantly making loading the bins difficult.

If I were to put a third row of posts in the middle of the width of the building, in addition to the posts along the front and back of the lean-to, could I then span the 2 lengths 12' each with out using a truss?

What floor is recommended for the salt bins and the attached apron which will extend 20' out from the lean-to? Concrete, Asphalt?

Any other ideas or input is appreciated.
  2. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

You could go with a scissor truss. For example if you had 6/12 top chord you could have a 4/12 bottom chord. This means if your total interior height is 12' from floor to top of wall on a 24' wide building, the mid height under the trusses would be 16'. The steeper your top chord, the steeper your bottom chord could be. Other than that, I would see what your engineer can come up with. If you go with a cut roof (i.e. individual rafters) you would have post down right in the middle at the ends (and several places in between) to carry the ridge beam, which would be annoying in a building that's only 24' wide.
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

For the money and aggravation involved you would be better off buyng
    24 foot hoop shed from www.Farmtek.com and have them erect it in a day.

This way you can have a proper concrete base poured and sealed with
    concrete sealer. this way they can install the shed on the pad with the
    end and sides surrounding the salt with a lipped gutter to keep water out of the
    salt and the other parts by isntalling the shed frame on the edge lip. .

A lean to will not adequately divert salt water runoff or prevent it from
    happening, where a hoop shed witha gutter recieving the side flaps will keep
    all the water away from the interior and divert only clean water away from
    the hoop shed.
  4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

You will not have any water runoff problems from the roof if your pad is one foot over the grade. Been there done that