1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt in Tailgate spreaders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gqnine44, Aug 29, 2005.

1. gqnine44

gqnine44 Junior Member

Does anyone put bulk salt in their tailgate spreaders? I have been using bags but am considering getting bulk salt dumped in the bed and then shovel it into the spreader. Obviously I would need a bed liner to prevent rust. What do you think?

Also, how do keep the salt from getting hard? Is a heavy tarp covering good enough?
  2. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

I use Magic Salt in bulk in my Fischer tailgate spreader.

Magic Salt will not clump!!

You will also use about 1/3 to 1/2 of regular salt and get better results!

Make sure it is covered well. Any salt that you use will have to be covered well. I have a bed liner, but I use a tarp to totally encase the salt. I also use 5 gal. buckets w/lids. You can make an initial investment in the buckets, but you will save in the long run. About 50 buckets will hold about a yard.

Bill Ramhold

Middlesex Ice Control, LLC

Magic Salt Distributor

Middletown, CT
  3. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

Any ideas where I can find "magic salt" in Massachusetts, specifically the Boston area and how much does it cost?

4. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

Hey Roger,

There are a few distributors in MA.

I am not sure of the exact pricing in MA. It will depend on the price of salt for this year.

It will cost more, but you will use 1/3 to 1/2 of the amount you were previously using, plus the benefit to you will be less trips to refill!

Middlesex Ice Control, LLC

Middlesex County, CT
  5. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

Thanks Bill. I found a local guy I've inquired to. He hasn't returned my calls yet. I imagine he's getting swamped. Anybody catch the Farmers Almanac? This year they are predicting lots of snow up in the northeast......Yipeeeeee!!!

Roger :bluebounc
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use a few Meyers 36000, 600lb Tailgate Spreaders with bulk salt. We had a few problems with the salt feeding, it used to hollow out an area around the auger and stop spreading. We added vibrators to every spreader and now they work fine. We drilled a 4" hole in the side of each spreader and added a piece of stainless steel on a hinge as a "trap door" and we empty the hopper after every use by flipping open the "trap door" and running the vibrator for a few minutes. The salt empties right into a 5 gallon bucket. You also have to have strong motors when using bulk salt or it will blow the fuses on the spreaders. Bulk works great once you set the spreader up for it! :nod:
  7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

What kind of vibrator motors are you using?
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

9. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Sure-Flow Vibrators

Thanks NJ,

Thanks for the plug. The standard Sure-Flow kit with the durable Z-80 vibrator is helping thousands of guys move bulk salt in plastic spreaders all over the country. Now Karrier Company is offering the longest warranty available in the Snow and Ice Control Industry on the standard duty Sure-Flow kit, a full 30 months. To make it easy on your wallet we are offering a two payment plan and until October 15, 2005 all Sure-Flow vibrators and Omega spinner motor controllers are on sale. If you really want to juice up your spreader and save money get our combo pack, including a standard Sure-Flow vibrator and the Omega controller.

We want spreading to be easy in all spreader brands with all material and weather conditions.

Nothing makes your spreader run faster or jump higher than Karrier's Sure-Flow and Omega products.

Happy Spreading,

Bob Church
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 800-709-4434
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

I think that you will find dumping a pile into the bed to be more hassle than it's worth. Bagged or buckets is a more workable solution. I favor bags, since it allows easy calculation for billing and they are a lot easier to handle. A number of folks that buy Magic from us stack the bags on a cut down pallet along the garage wall. Easy to store, inventory, load.

The vibrator is also a good idea.
  11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You guys make great products and I can't say enough good things about them.

Plus you sponsor the site and that means something too. After all, if we don't help each other, who's going to help us?

I run a dozen late 80's GMC's pick-ups with Western Pro Plows and Meyers 36000 Spreaders on them. Your vibrators are now on most of them. We switched to bulk salt a few years ago and had all sorts of feeding problems with moisture, etc. I almost went back to bagged salt. After trying one of your vibrators, I liked it so much I put them on 7 more trucks and have been using bulk salt ever since. It saved us big bucks over buying bagged salt.

Thanks for making a great product, and for supporting this site! :drinkup:

Steve ;-)
  12. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

:dizzy: Pbeering,
    I've gotten two deliveries of Magic in bulk here in MA. Both were very wet and i initially had alot of problems getting it through our spreaders (Fisher 2000, swingate). Do you find the bagged product any better? I have since bought a vibrator from Karrier and it helped alot, but didn't solve all the flow issues. We may have jumped the gun, but we bought a pallet of plain rock and a pallet of calcium chloride "hot" driveway stuff. We're gonna run them through and see what works best. We'll use the remaining Magic for the sidewalks and steps. The stuff does work great, just hard to get through the spreader. To be continued..............
  13. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

The reason that the Magic was wet was probably because the salt was wet when they treated it. That has been an issue lately, since most of the salt distributors have not been covering their piles. I have a Fisher Speedcaster 2 that has the conveyor. With the conveyor, I can spread anything without a problem.

Magic is a great product, but it is generally a little wet.

I use a bucket and hand spread for walkways.

Maybe someday, someone will come out with a walk behind spreader that can spread material that is a little wet.
  14. little pat

little pat Member

We used magic last year and it was horrible. It came to us extremely wet and actually froze when it got cold out. Our v boxes and tailgate spreaders were blocks of frozen salt. I would never recommend magic to anyone who wants to stay in business. As far as the Karrier Vibrators, best money you will ever spend. Great product and Bob takes the time to answer any and all questions.
  15. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

Anyone that has used Magic Salt has raved about it!!!!!!!!

I have never heard about Magic Salt freezing if it is treated properly!!

Don't let one instance discourage you!

I have been using it for 2 years with no problems and all of my customers are ecstatic! purplebou
  16. wildwillyscapes

wildwillyscapes Junior Member

magic salt

Hey anyone know where i can get this magic salt in the cincinnati, Hamilton area of ohio! and how much it usually is?:salute:
  17. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Bulk salt typically has more moisture in it than does bagged. Unless it is stored inside, it is hard to keep it dry. During transit it is not unusual for salt to sit in a big pile outside. That is the case at a number of the major ports. It is also more humid where the stuff comes from and given the chemical properties of salt, it absorbs moisture. Hence the need for big machines, screens, and augers to break up clumps.

If you are buying bagged Magic, they spray and mix it before it is bagged so it is thoroughly coated in the process. Our experience has been that it will run through smaller gravity spreaders OK, but for the larger units a vibrator is a good idea.

To my knowledge there is not a distributor in the Cincinnati area, but there is one north and west of you up I74. Call me at 888-343-1701 and I'll try to help you out.
  18. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

We Run Alot Of Bulk Salt I Use All Types Spreaders And I Bought The Best One I Found For Bulk Yet It Was From Lesco It Is Called The Sand Load,it Is Made By Snowex And Lesco Puts Their Name On It .i Use Mainly Bulk And Thought I Would Try It I Was Sceptical But This One Kicks Tail.look At Snowex Web For The Sand Pro 1875 Look Real Close To The Bottom There Is An Extra Motor And An Auger Across The Bottom .also Has A Vibrator On It .we Have Ran Thirty Five Tons And Only One Time Did We Have A Problem The Screen On Top Needs To Have A Little Smaller Holes To Stop Chunks Smaller Than 2x2" We Use Bobcat To Fill It,iwish It Was Taller Though.check It Out You Will Be Sold

Ps I Bought It From Lesco ,they Are Discountinuing This Product It Is A Snowex At Lesco It Goes For 1499 At Snowex It Is 2200 Better Call Em Before There Gone I Was Told They Are In The Stores In The South
  19. little pat

little pat Member

Sorry but my experience and others in the area would show that magic isn't what it's cracked up to be. I've talked to other local snow contractors and they had similar problems. The distributor wouldn't help with the problem and neither would the main office in New York. If I want to be out of business ASAP I would use it again but since I like being in business and properly servicing my customers, I'll never use their crap again. About the one instance, if it costs you customers because you can't spread it, you can't risk it.
  20. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There is a substantial difference between treating a pile - done by some distributors and a few contractors - and the bagged material that comes directly from Innovative. If mixed correctly, and if the stuff isn't drowned during transit and storage, it does a terrific job. Better than several competitive products.

This is not however a perfect world, and there are a lot of things that can cause troubles. Sorry your experience wasn't good.