1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt in Snowex 1075?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Evan Freiling, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

I currently have a snowex 1075 tailgate spreader,I have been using bagged salt but this season Iam plowing for a differnt company that olny uses bulk. I want to continue using my spreader for obvious reasons,the salt pile is indoors and close to spreading locations.I have a vibrator that I plan on installing.Were should I install it.Will this spreader work,I checked the salt it is bone dry and loose,and I have the top grate to keep the chunks out.After I get the spreader hooked up next weekend I plan on testing it.Just wanted to know if iam wasting my time and if anyone is using this spreader the same way.Thanks guys any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

If its dry material Id go for it. Loading bags stinks.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has one and has only used bulk. He has a vibrator but I'm not sure where it's mounted. Even if you have problems with some wet salt sticking, it's easier then loading with bags. He's quite happy with his.

4. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

we've been using bulk salt through a 20 year old Western tailgate salter for 15 years. make sures it's dry and the loader runs over it before loading it

5. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

we use a snowex1075 with vibrator. mount the vibrator as low as you can down by auger. We never have any problems, even if salt is slightly wet it still runs through. You will have to run the vibrator the entire time though. Stoping it (vibrator) will make the auger dig a hole and salt will stop flowing. We use a Boss vibrator kit on this particular spreader. OH yeah, definetly use the top grate as any hard material (chunks) will jam the auger.

6. Evan Freiling

Evan Freiling Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the the responses,I feel alot better now about using it.Wish I had it up and running now its snowing pretty good roads are covered,they"re not even calling for this.

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yikes! Time to panic!

8. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I'd tell your new company to go punt! I hear they don't know what they're doing anyway!