1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PGHplowguy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Does anyone know where to buy bulk rock salt in or around Pittsburgh? Any leads are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. SRSA

SRSA Junior Member

Things are getting tight

Good luck. I have a call in to my supplier today just to make sure everything is O.K. but I haven't heard back. Lots of people getting shut off is all I keep hearing. There are some magical 8 barges that I've heard about more than once that are stuck on the river. It is going to be a hard thing to find a new supplier at this point. Most are just trying to keep their normal customers supplied. I think Federouch may have some at 92 a ton.
  3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

All my suppliers are cutting off everyone except the DOT until they get caught up with the DOT orders. I'm 100 miles north
  4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Even bagged salt is running out in our area, I'm going to pick up 2 skids tomorrow to get me by for alittle bit. While one supplier in our area still has some.
  5. SnoMan19

SnoMan19 Member

Try A&S it's not the best but it's better than nothing...
  6. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

I just bought a tri-axle... Ridiculous on the price. Last one they had. None for the foreseeable future. Price is just going to go up. If any of you get in a major jam and are in or near the North Hills you can message me. I may have some to sell you. FYI, I just paid $150/ton for it. :angry:
  7. JimMarshall

from NW PA

jeez oh man!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. StockmanLawn

StockmanLawn Junior Member

Bump...anyone else know of any places? Tough to find out there...one place only had a few ton and they wanted $170 per ton! Looking for a tri-axle if anyone knows a place...Thanks
  9. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I got a load this week, ordered it 2 weeks ago. Called to order another and they wouldn't even take my order. Told me to call back and see if they are caught up in a couple weeks.
  10. coolgeo

coolgeo Junior Member

I cant even get anyone to answer the phone or call back
  11. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

Good Luck were all in the same boat. seems the only way to get it is if you know the right people. I'm still tryn to meet the right person hahah
  12. coolgeo

coolgeo Junior Member

Yep I know what your saying (or not saying)ha ha if you find one let me know
  13. melt all

melt all Member

We have an shipment of salt due to arrive next Thursday/Friday. Due to the high demand nationwide and in order to prevent the state from seizing it upon arrival we are pre-selling the salt. From what we can see on the market this is the only salt due to arrive in the U.S. in time to be useful.
    Funds must be transferred and cleared for tonnage requested no later than Tuesday Feb. 12th We were forced to pay for special loading terms and reconfigure the loading ports schedule to accommodate our vessel, we paid a premium for the vessel due to short notice and a premium for the salt.

Therefore the price of salt is $140.00/ton FOB & pre-payment. Our pile is located at the Port of Wilmington in Delaware in zip code 19801…….about 30 miles south of Philadelphia, PA. http://portofwilmington.com/ We only have 35,000/tons, we are getting requests from Canada and all over the U.S.
    We expect our tonnage to be depleted quickly, supply is limited and on a first come first serve basis.

We apologize for the high cost however in order to get the salt here within required time we had to secure positions so our vessel will arrive 2 weeks before all other salt shipments are due to arrive.

We have calcium and magnesium chloride pellets in super sacks $850.00/each sack contains approximately 2200lbs.
    Our solution to the high price bags....We have 1/ton super sacks of bulk salt with YPS (ANTI-CAKING AGENT) for $250.00/each. Since we are bagging undried salt the YPS is to try an prevent caking of the salt, should be ok if used within a 2week period.
    FOB Marcus Hook, PA 19061

Thank you for your understanding
    Joe Kelly
    calls only please
  14. bobcatboy06

bobcatboy06 Member
    from PA

I got a load delivered on Friday I think it came out of three rivers. It was normal price. If anyone wants the number of my supplier send me a PM
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  15. coolgeo

coolgeo Junior Member

hi bobcatboy my account wont allow me to send a pm I don't know why if you could please try sending me one im only a few miles from three rivers but they wont even call me back
  16. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

Call RISINGER'S in Indiana, PA. It'll be about an hour drive from Pittsburgh but they have. They have a website or call (724) 463-0344. Tell them Jason from Yard at Work Landscaping sent you. Ask for Jeff.
  17. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare Member

Good luck, I have ordered 16 loads and can't get anymore. I sent a drop deck to cleveland last week and they paid for the back haul when they only gave me half a load.
  18. StockmanLawn

StockmanLawn Junior Member

Bump for help for the Pittsburgh guys! I would kill for a tri-axle!