1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt in michigan??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by michigancutter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. michigancutter

michigancutter Senior Member

Looking for bulk salt in southeast michigan? can anyone help me. Thanks

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

MTec In Waterford will have some in the am. $118 ton, he is trucking it up from Ohio. They can only carry 25 tons at a time in Ohio so trucking is killing the cost. His next load is coming from WV. I will only be buying enough to do walks and handicap parking. Looks like making money from salting is done for this year.

Regards Mike

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

2 words:

You're screwed.

Unless you have it ordered, good luck getting any. I am having a difficult time just getting what I do have ordered.

4. michigancutter

thanks alot bro.

5. Mark Oomkes

Sorry to not be more optimistic. :eek:

6. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I talked to my supplier today and they canceled my 150 reserved tons.

I had no clue they could do that as I prepaid for 50% of it.

They basically said I would be refunded and that the state and county have taken all my salt.

My supplier told me the closest place to get it was out of Toledo Ohio and that it was $75 a ton plus trucking all the way from Ohio to West Michigan.

I have my own trucks I can send after it and haul back maybe 50 ton at a time.

I really dont know what to do.

I keep thinking if I bought 1000 tons this summer I would be able to retire.

7. Mark Oomkes

I wouldn't recommend hauling 50 tons in Ohio, at least if you value your cash and trucks that is. Their weight limits are a tad more stringent than ours.

8. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Yeah, I figured they were.

We had quad axle dumps that can haul 25 ton a piece in Michigan.

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You can only hual 25 tons at a time in Ohio, thats what driving the cost up for the guys that can get it.

Regards Mike

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If it is coming out of Toledo, you should be able to haul more. I talked to a steel hauler awhile back. He said that Toledo observes the Michigan 160,000 GVW rates because of all the trucks running from Detroit down there.

11. Mark Oomkes

I was wondering about that, as I've been getting conflicting figures from suppliers.

Might also explain the roads around Toledo. :dizzy:

12. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

Toledo

Where in Toledo is this salt at? I am from Toledo and I have found no salt available.

13. michigancutter

thanks guys, i found two pallets of salt from b&w landscape supplies. i paid 245.00 a skid but ill take what i can get.

14. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I think many guys learned to buy bulk in the summer. No way the state or counties can take it if you already own it, right?

I know a guy who had that happen to him He said the county basically took all his orders, too. but, he said they had two semi-trailers full before that happened. Guess they were lucky.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Wrong, Eminent Domain allows the state or countys to "do what is needed for public safety, or best interest".
    They can lock down a prepaid pile at the docks, or come and clean out your salt bin on your own property.
    Dont fool yourself thinking any thing is "Untouchable" in the land of the free.

16. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

:realmad: They'll have to find it first..... rofl

btw: Angelo's had 3 semi truckloads of bulk being delivered when I was there last night, plus about 200 ton on the ground. They will only sell to you, if you have been buying from them all along. They also still have lots of pallets (30-80# for $120 plus tax) but the same goes, you had to buy from them earlier for them to sell to you now.

17. michigancutter

that stupid that these suppliers only sell to customers who has bought in the past it should be first come first serve like at the stores

18. creativeasphalt

creativeasphalt Junior Member
    from Lapeer

Can you please let me know who in Toledo has bulk salt.

19. michigancutter

need salt agian! can anyone help i only need 2 tons to get me by with light salting. macomb county area. thanks mike

20. Mark Oomkes

So I buy a 100 tons from Supplier A and you buy 5 tons. You think they should sell to you and take the chance of losing my business in the future because they sold to 20 guys who bought 5 tons? But only when they really needed it because their normal supplier ran out?

Isn't going to happen, you be loyal to your suppliers and they'll be loyal to you.

And the comparison to the stores doesn't work. The store is not running out of milk\bread\whatever.