1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt in buffalo ny

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by JLK 1500, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JLK 1500

JLK 1500 Junior Member

OK ill start off by saying that I'm new to the salting aspect of plowing. i have a hopper style that is modded to fit in my receiver of my truck and i have a 7 foot long v box that also sits in the back of my one ton. now i understand that my question is gonna be kinda vague but still id figure id give it a shot. Where do i get salt from in bulk ( i have a 5 yard dump truck that i could pick it up in ) and how do you charge? The reason I'm asking is one of my friends is now in charge of hiring someone to do the plowing for his work. But he hasn't yet been able to get his hands on the paperwork from the past few years to see what and how they charge. I understand that you bill it separate from the yearly price but, how much money do you charge??? Any input would greatly be appreciated Thanks again.:confused:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try calling this company.

Pfohl Trucking corp

See if you can buy and pick up from them.
  3. JLK 1500

JLK 1500 Junior Member

thanks alot, they have some good prices on the bulk salt. Ok on to the next question. How much do you charge for the salt when spreading it from a truck????
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I may be looking for salt in Hamburg. I just have to see what contracts I get and what they require.
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Talk to Jim Hange and tell him Steve @ Quality told you to call

Bulk Treated Salt- $37.00/ton (my price, don't know exactly what they will quote you, as it is based on quantity for the season).
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just checking. I haven't seen this price for bulk rock salt, let alone treated. It was over $60 five years ago. Maybe $137/ton?
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You must be buying a lot of salt for $37/ton. Last year we went through 600-700 tons and this years price is $61.50/ metric, Canadian $ that works out to $49.80 US$/ton. Room for a lot of profit there.payup That is straight salt not treated.
  8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Not a typo---- $37.00 per ton! We use approx. 1500-2000 ton per season

I think their base rate is somewhere around $50.00 per ton if you only want one.
  9. JLK 1500

JLK 1500 Junior Member

its real

No that seems to be the price for treated salt in our area. That price reflects you picking it up though. But how much do i charge to spread it???? Anybody???:confused: