1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt in a Tailgait Spreader

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JMAC3, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JMAC3

JMAC3 Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

Need your help here. I have been buying bag salt for my Fisher Low profile 500 spreader, and it works great. I use about 150lbs each snow fall. I want to buy bulk, but am aware of the problems. Do you think if I dry it well in garbage cans in the garage it will be ready by next season. Or does anyone have a better idea w/o making it a full-time job? I tried to call Fisher, but no luck. I would really appreciate any ideas as it's costing me a fortune each season. I only plow for myself and a few seniors my wife signed me up for. I don't want to charge them, but may have to if I can't settle this. Thank you!

2. lazyike

lazyike Member

good luck drying salt... It absorbs moisture and turns into a rock.

3. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Good luck loading it with a bucket or shovel.

4. JMAC3

JMAC3 Junior Member

I haven't had that problem. I keep it in a garage heated to 50 degrees, and load with a 5 gallon bucket each snow fall. You guys give up to easy! but thanks for the good advise. I will keep you posted.

5. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

why not look into bagged pallet salt or even bulk bags(the type that come in one big bag on a pallet). neither option is as cheap as pure bulk salt but may help keep costs down a bit and still keep it friendly enough for you to keep in your garage.

the garage i plow for buys and sells salt in bags and they give me their price for the bags. its perfect for me and i am there plowing anyway so i just grab what i need and take it off their bill ;-) i don't use enough salt to warrant any type of spreader besides my little walk behind, so my view may be bias.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I have done and it work great...I put one bag of bagged salt in first the (depending on the lot size) I'll either fill the rest of the hopper or however much is need with the bulk salt.I agree with your statement that some people give up to easy, I too use 5 gallon buckets with lids that I keep filled in the back of my truck and 6 40lb. bags of salt solar salt from HD. Good luck -Joe-

7. leon

leon Senior Member

salt

As you are plowing for a few clients and yourself; the better way best way to accomplish this is using new pails with reclosable lids only with a bit windshield washer fluid pour on the salt after you shovel it in the NEW pails.

An easier option is to buy solar salt in bags or hammer milled limestone dust as it will not turn into concrete but it costs a bit more and will do the same job.

The limestone dust will require you to be more vigilant in spreading as it is smaller in size than Halite which is plus 30 mesh sieve size.

Buying a few pallets of solar salt or ground limestone in bags will last you for many seasons provided you have the room to store it under cover or under a "high quality" water proof tarp.

The bagged limestone should be stored indoors in any case.

In order to continue this you need to plan on charging for your service for a seasonal price as you have already reached the point of no return.

8. JMAC3

JMAC3 Junior Member

Thank's guys I'm going to try a bag of the solar salt first with the bulk as I have a half yard of bulk left.I will first add a small amt of waster fluid to it. I'm hopeful this will work with my spreader, but if not I will buy the large bags next season. DJ why do you feel the solar salt works so well? Does it dry the auger or keep the bulk from freezing?? Thanks again for your help.

9. DJ Contracting

10. DJ Contracting

JMAC3 did u get a chance to try it out yet?

11. JMAC3

JMAC3 Junior Member

Hi DJ,

I didn't get a chance to try again I have been working alot and the HD didn't have any instock last visit. I did however pass the info to a friend with the same spreader. He reported back that it worked well, and asked me where I found the info. I told him about the site. I haven't seen him listed as a member yet, but I'll keep looking. Thank You again for your help and I'll keep you posted.

12. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

DJ, Thanks for the advice on using a combination of bagged and bulk salt. I'll let you know how that works, I'm looking at buying a tailgate spreader and I'm trying to get an idea of costs if I take on some small commercial and church lots.