1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt in 5 Gal. Bucket Q's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G.M.Landscaping, Feb 6, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Anybody keep bulk salt stored in 5 gallon buckets?
    I wanted to know before I tried it.
    Will it turn into concrete if I keep them in my truck bed under a tonnue cover? Truck kept outside. Use lids or not?

Also no magic salt in my area, so don't mention it.

Where to find about 40-50 used buckets?

Any input is helpful.

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i dont understand, why would you want to store it in buckets? is it for your sander? or do you use it for walkways? if its for your walkways, i recommend using buckets, but only store what you use in one storm, to many things can go wrong, temp/ moisture ..... works well for me..... as for my sander bulk means bulk lol ...... also if you get one of those plastic gutter cleaners, it helps , when it comes to throwing the salt, works well... hope i helped you , good luck

3. NJConstruction

NJConstruction Junior Member
    from NJ

Hey, I did this before I had the ability to have a bulk salt pile, it worked fine. I had some sit in buckets for quite a while and they break apart just fine when you dump them. Its a little hassle to get it set up, but when you hafta use the salt its one of the best setups I can imagine. If you need some buckets with lids, I probably have 20 or 30 of them around still. Shoot me an email, mhuberxc13@comcast.net. If you keep lids on them you can feel free to keep those buckets anywhere you want, indoor/outdoor, I didn't ever cover mine outside.

4. G.M.Landscaping

This is for my 91 p.u. using a tailgate spreader with vibrator. Currently using bagged but could save lots on cost running bulk. Instead of storing bags under tonnue, I would keep buckets full of salt.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

You can buy them from the home depot for a couple of bucks.

6. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

look at any resort or food resturant for buckets, a lot of food is shipped in 4 / 5 gal pails w/ lids. and should be free.

7. G.M.Landscaping

That's what I was thinking also. Home depot wants 3.47 + tax for one bucket. Times that buy by 40 = $148. Free is good. I could buy over 2 tons of salt for that:nod: Maybe if it would snow more than once in the last 40 days I could afford buying, but I am one broke dude.

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

when i first unloaded the like 10 pallets of rock salt and calcium we emptied all the broken bags in 5 gallon buckets and its fine still now

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

painters usually have a few empty paint buckets

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  10. amar

amar Member

I have put bulk salt in buckets. Make sure you don't put any wet or moist salt in buckets if left outside they turn to rock. But you still break them up. 1 cu yd of salt is about 35 five gallon buckets.

11. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I keep a bulk pile. What I found to work good was using 30ish gallon rubbermaid tote. I then use a 5 gallon bucket to shovel it out into the spreader until I can lift it. It weighs around 300lbs full. I also keep a scoop for small applications. It has worked for me.

The problems with this set up is if you want to put lids on them you will have to bungee the tops because the sides get pushed out and the lids don't sit perfect. You said you have a truck cover so that won't be an issue for you. Also make sure you put the tote in the back of the truck before you start loading it. that 300lbs is tuff to lift up onto the tail gate. Hope it helps

12. dumper

dumper Junior Member

I have hundreds here, located in north Jersey, can give you fifty or so if you pick up.

I get them from a wholesale bakery. They get icing and other ingredients, and I get all I want for free.

13. snowguy21

snowguy21 Junior Member

if you put wet salt in buckets it WILL get hard in a month or two. i did it for years. i had to dry it out before puting it in buckets. lay out the salt in the sun for a day while you rake it around to dry it out as best as you can. then put in buckets. i just bought a sander so i never have to waste my time drying salt ever again. decause it really S*CKS to do.

14. EIB

EIB Senior Member

If you want buckets, go to a local construction site when they are hanging and finishing drywall. They throw out hundreds of buckets depending on the size of the site.

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

But dont take any buckets in the woods with lids on them :eek:

16. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

Great minds think alike

I keep a bulk pile. What I found to work good was using 30ish gallon rubbermaid tote. I then use a 5 gallon bucket to shovel it out into the spreader until I can lift it. It weighs around 300lbs full. I also keep a scoop for small applications. It has worked for me.

The problems with this set up is if you want to put lids on them you will have to bungee the tops because the sides get pushed out and the lids don't sit perfect. You said you have a truck cover so that won't be an issue for you. Also make sure you put the tote in the back of the truck before you start loading it. that 300lbs is tuff to lift up onto the tail gate. Hope it helps

FIREMAN Q
    I do the exact same thing that you just described. It's amazing how great minds think alike. Get ready boys.......let the games begin Saturday night! Woohooooooooooo!:drinkup:

17. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i have done this for the first time this winter and EVERYTIME i went to uuse the salt it was frozen, so i switched to buying a treated salt, magic salt wont freeze. Maybe you eill have a different experience then i did becuase you eill keep the salt under a tonue cover, mine was left out in the open bed of my truck, good luck

18. bjucka2

bjucka2 Junior Member
    from Mass

Buckets

Dont know if you still check replys to this or not, but check wi9th contractors for the buckets, home depot gets 5 bucks apeice for them. Drywall contractors are your best bet, their compound comes in five gallon buckets and they use a lot of it. They usually get thrown away when the compound is gone.

19. G.M.Landscaping

Yes , I'm still reading responses. And still rounding up free buckets. I'm getting used 5 gal pickle buckets. Thanks for all the replies so far.

20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Actually drywallers are probally your worst guy to go looking for free buckets.
    There mud comes in boxes and then is dumped into a bucket for mixing. They hang on to there buckets.
    Now painters, they go threw buckets.