1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt IL

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bporter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

Ok I have a problem I live far south subs of chicago and my plan was to have my own salt pile this year. I've got a location a way to fill my truck but now I'm told by Carghill and Morton No new Contracts. ( I'm no suprised I figured that was going to happen) But i need about 3 Semi Loads to get me through the season. Anyone have any Suggestions of someone or some place I can get some Salt From.
    Thanks For Your Help
    Brian
    Reliable Snow Removal

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

umm, might due some reading on other threads....but basicly get in line

3. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Don't worry Brother! By the end of October this whole thing will be straightened out. It's just a way to get the higher prices! By the end of January they will giving the stuff away!

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

you and I both hope -

5. amscontr

amscontr Junior Member

I know plenty of truck brokers that handle salt here in the St.Louis area,I'll do some checking.
    I know last year the freight rate to Chicago was from $25.00 to $40.00 per ton. This year with diesel prices I look for it to be in the high $30's to low $40's per ton freight rate not including the price per ton of the salt.

6. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

hey thanks just let me know...Thanks Brian Porter

7. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

dont count on getting any salt anywhere right now. even the big fish that want a thousand or more tons are s.o.l. i got lucky and found eighty treated tons for a good price. sounds like sand will be in short supply next. hell its 25 to 35 a ton here in kc. bet by winter sand will be 60 a ton.......................................:mad:

8. scoot98758

scoot98758 Junior Member

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

interesting

10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

That sounds like solar salt

That craigslist ad sounds like solar salt. In my quest to find salt I contacted a company and pretty much everything that is on the posting is what they said. Gotta buy a train car at a time, pieces are smaller, etc. If anyone buys this stuff I have one warning for you. Last year I ended up getting a bunch of salt that had really tiny pieces and like a powder element to it as well. It worked great due to the increased surface area, but it flows through your spreader A LOT faster. I did a lot that normally takes 500 pounds and ended up spreading a ton before I was even half way through it! :dizzy: