1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt going thru the roof

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Antlerart06, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I had a friend told me I can buy Bulk salt in St Louis So I call they want 219.00 per ton and I have to pick it up. I fell out of my chair
    This is at a Salt yard I told them I didn't need it that bad I have plenty I hope to get me to spring time. For that price I'll buy more bags.

2. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Look at what the oil companies get away with. When the demand is there and your the only supply you can control the price. Ive heard of muni from here sending out trucks for salt at over 300 per ton and thats not including trucking.
    This would have been a great year to be in the trucking business around here.

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Buffalo fuel corp delivers salt into Canada from your area. The salt is crap thou, really fine and dirty it blows off the back of your spinner when u spread it and is usually mixed with trash that they haul out of Toronto to buffalo. there prices were pretty good.

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

It has in ct too. The state attorney general office has over 200 complaints of price gouging. We have a new law you are allowed 20 percent over 30 days based on fair market value. There are yards charging 250 plus per ton for salt from 120 per ton. He said he will fine all companys found to be gouging. Time will tell. This law was passed after last years blizzard.

I'm not sure how it will play out towns are paying 220 per ton of treated salt from 73 delivered.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Price gouging is only on certain items like food fuel and water i thought??? At least thats the way it is in NY. But everyday is a rip off at the pump

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's supply and demand. No one is forcing you to buy salt. I just bought 83 tonne for $160/tonne and I was just glad I got some. Hoping I can skimp through the rest of the season with the 150 tonne I have left along with using sand as well. I just want to keep my properties safe.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

not in the state of ct now. It covers all service industies including snowplowing and removel, trees, home repair the list goes on. It also covers ALL products used for those services. Yes salt and ice melt are covered under the law. We had 4 major weather events and things got out of control price wise. The state steped in and said no more,but my questions is why did the towns pay 400 per hour for loaders during the blizzard than complain about it!!! I had a town/city offer me 150 per hour for my skidsteer last year to clear sidewalks downtown. i said no it was already working she than offered 250 per hour all fuel would be supplied along with food.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I received a load this week for my regular price.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What's your regular price?

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It is supply and demand for sure. BUT it is also the fault of many municipalities who salt so irresponsibly throughout the year too. I am a very small muni in the big picture and I have had some minor issues getting my salt that I have already contracted for. The salt companies here take care of the "big boys" first (IDOT, Chicago, etc) What steams me is that I teach a local class about salting responsibly and appropriately for the conditions yet I see agencies like IDOT run through town blades scraping wet pavement while they are pouring out salt. I bet if I got all the salt they wasted in an event I could fill my barn. Completely irresponsible and in the end costs taxpayers more when they "run out" I wish there was a way to regulate it but they would cite "public safety" and keep pouring it out.
    So there's my rant :)
    It makes me mad that I require my employees to use just enough material for a situation and then watch those bozos run through town.

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Less than 80 delivered.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Early fill is $66 and I got another 1200 ton at $73 so when I avg I all out the $160 for 2 loads isn't that big a deal. That being said I would had rather not paid the $160 but since I buy direct through Cargill and Canadian they both told me there is no salt except for government contracts. I heard Sifto started releasing some loads this week.

13. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

My supplier was allowed back into Cargill in Cleveland to haul to private contractors a few weeks ago. We haven't paid over $100 a ton all winter and 25% of our loads came from Cleveland at a 4 hour drive one way.

14. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Average is what so many poeple forget. They are actually mainly dwelling on TODAYs high price.

My average cost is actually down this year, with mixing sand into it early when the warnings about salt started.

Now like everyone my usage is higher.

15. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

our salt distributor has ran out and we haven't needed to salt since they did but they are still trying to get a load. One guy offered us 225 a ton. I almost fell out of my seat when he told me that. I have paid 90/ton all year long. Now we're just praying it wont snow anymore this year lol good luck with that right?

16. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

$69.50 first 125 ton.. $89.00 last 100 ton... Last check our salt yard is at $110 a ton now... Still have 50 ton hoping to use it all..

17. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I don't hear anyone even thinking about liquids....liquid Calcium Chloride applied at 6-8 gallons per ton will save you 30%-50% on your salt usage. You can make your own for $1 per gallon or less.

18. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I know nothing about liquid but you can bet after this winter i am going to learn everything there is to them and then go buy one for a backup plan! It is getting out of control with what is going on.

19. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I think the biggest issue is that guys try liquids and something goes wrong and they give up....

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Who did you call in St. Louis?
    Steve