1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Coverage -help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by srt management, Sep 18, 2008.

1. srt management

srt management Junior Member

Ok for the past few years we have been using our v-box and not really paying to much attention to what we were getting for coverage. Like everyone some days we wnet heavier than others but at the price before it was ok if we put down a little extra.

NOW with the great and wonderful increase in price we need to figure out what the coverage should be.

I am bidding a 250,000 sq ft lot and need to know about how much bulk salt we should go through per application. We need to tighten the belt every where we can.

Thanks for the help
  2. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Salt coverage

Depending on who you talk to you will find coverages rang from 100Lbs to 1200Lbs per acre. I find that 1000 Lbs per acre works pretty good. I am in St.Louis and we get a fare amount of ice, in the north east they tend to use about 500 Lbs per acre.

I hope this helps.
  3. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Oh ya for your lot it works out to be 2.87 Tons
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i've just been kinda guessing at it too. but my accounts are charged by the ton, so it don't much matter but.....if i can t get anymore like they say, i am going to watch my p's and q's too.

i normally bid the city salt and i called my broker NASC and they told me to make sure i didnt win the bid because they wouldnt have the salt to sell......AND THAT IS FOR A MUNI :dizzy: so yeah we ALL may be screwed lol