1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt Chicago Area - SW preferred

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by madmaxxxx, Jan 3, 2008.

1. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Ok, so now we are feeling the pressure of running out of bulk salt. Anybody know where in the Chicago area, southwest preferred, that we can get a few semi loads? We are 100% out after this last storm. Our normal supplier doesnt have any and is not sure when its coming in. Trying to get another supplier is tough, most wont take on new customers now. If I had to, I would buy 200 tons now, but I would like to take a couple truck loads now instead.
  2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

max i called a friend for you and waiting to hear if he has any extra salt that you could buy from him i know he usually stock piles extra but as you know we have had a lot of ice this year
  3. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Thanks for the reply. I am working on taking delivery of 100 tons and putting it in inside storage. I found a warehouse about 3 miles away that would work, except the semi would have to drop its load outside and bobcat it in. I am working on getting a big delivery that would last us the year, but that seems to be a tall order to fill. Nobody wants to sell to us if we havent been a regular customer before. for now it seems I have to beg to find one truck load. I cant beleive our supplier ran out, they had a huge pile thats been there for over 2 years and bam, it vanished in one week. I dont know how much they had, but it had to be several barge loads. That pile was over 85 foot tall.
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I know that about a week ago there was 400,000 tons floating on the river so your supplier may have some salt soon? I know the company i sub for had some problems with getting salt until those barges showed up. but then again we go through 200 tons an event :dizzy:
  5. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Same issue different day. Still looking for bulk salt.
  6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

yeah the salt supply around here has dried up!
  7. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Word around here is no more bulk salt after January 30 for at least three weeks.I am buyig anything I can get my hands on. Purchased 30 pallets of bagged as a back up today !!!!!
  8. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Haven't had a problem running out of salt here in St. Louis. Surely there's got to be a supplier between St. Louis and Chicago with plenty of bulk salt?
  9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I spent 4.5 hours today in line at cargill in lemont. There was probably about 250 semis there and even though they were unloading barges ,it looks bleak. I will be going down to morton in calumet on monday and hpoe the line is not as long.By the way ,all the piles in lemont are gone and the barges are empting quick. Heard from someone today that they want to get 100.00 a ton ,you pick up. good luck out there if you can find the salt,get it .We have trucked in over 900 tons so far this year so it has been a heavy salt year.
  10. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Well I got 25 tons today, what a pain trying to find some. Maybe another 20 tons coming later in the week, yeah right, I heard that before. I just hope for more salt events.
  11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Salt Shortage!!!!! This Time It Is True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I had a chance to get some salt to my yard by, GET THIS, FEB 1, coming out of Louisville, KY, and than the next soonest load would be FEB 6, out of Peoria.

Hard to plan that far out BUT the kicker is even on the wait list I can only get on the list for 1 load at a time. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! You do not even WANT to know what I have to pay for the load.

I have about 120 tons in the Full bin. I load out about 20 tons in the fleet so I am keeping the truck loaded to make room in the bin.

Last season I was concerned I would not make my commitment and where was I going to put 100TONS of salt, muchless pay for it by April 1. Now I am double my commitment and paying DOUBLE per load just to have it one hand if I MIGHT NEED it.

A couple more years of this BS and I am getting out of the snow biz, you all can have this crap shoot. I'd rather spend my winter on VACATION........... Thinking about starting a BUNNY FARM for Steve (Triton Snow).

Ron G.