1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk salt buying

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kandklandscape0, Dec 14, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

of course buying bulk salt is a heck of alot cheaper however when you store it and do not have any rooftops or anywhere to store it, would it be ok to store it on a open parking lot, without jersey barriors and throw a tarp underneath? have you ever heard of any restrictions on boro, twp permit to store salt? i doubt it,..... but was wondering if i didnt build a wall or rooftop, only threw a tarp over would i be stupid to do this or? it gets costly to keep running back and forth to get loaded, we do have our own loading equip so it would not be a problem to load ourself
  2. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

do like we do, i rent a 40 ft ocean storage container and have it delivered to my meijers parking lot put about 30 or so ton in it and still have room to run the bobcat in and lock it up. rentals around here are 112 dollars a mth.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

For over 30 years we have stored salt on site on pavement. We use round bale tarps because they are very durable, pool tarps also work well. We use skids to hold the tarp down and lots of them. The key is to keep the salt dry, so recover when snowing or raining and you will be fine. The tarps are a pain but the cost savings were more then worth it. Don't cheap out on a tarp, one tarp has to cover the hole pile or it will blow off.
  4. timlb703

timlb703 Junior Member

How do you get salt inside???
  5. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

You could build a simple leantoo would be cheaper, oh cause PADEP would write up in a heart beat not having salt stored properly