1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk or bagged?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CNYScapes, Oct 24, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

So my question is can I fill my bed (chevy HD 2500) with bulk rock salt and cover it with my tonneau cover, and then just shovel it into the tailgate spreader. Will the bulk salt harden up in my bed, or will it be fine to shovel in. I could save quite a bit of money if I buy the salt in bulk instead of bags.

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

if you use all of the salt in your bed during a storm it will work just fine. i have seen many local guys fill there beds with a ton of mix and shovel it into there tailgate spreaders. i wouldn't leave it in there for a long period of time.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If it doesn't get completely soaked & then you get a period of really cold temps, you'll be fine. I switched from all bagged to doing it that way last year. What a time & cost savings! Left salt in the bed between storms often. Once in a while we had to break up some chunks, and if it gets too frozen, spray some water on it to help breaking it up. Or wait until the next time temps get above freezing to break it up real nice. However, in my area it is rare to have temps below freezing all day for long periods of time. In a colder climate I might not get away with that as much.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i am sure it would work in a pinch,but it may be easier on the longevity of your truck bed to purchase a bulk salter and leave it in that....like a v or the such

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Don't leave the bulk in there very long. I have made this mistake and I had to use a pick axe to get it out. The bottom of the pile will turn into a brick.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Speaking of salt frozen in spreaders, here's a story of how not to deal with the problem. :nono: I had a sub who left some salt in his V-box overnight once and he told me he was using a jack hammer to try to break it up. The jack hammer bit jammed & he slipped and fell over backwards & I think he said he was unconscious for a bit. He was one lucky hombre to be alive actually. Don't leave salt in the V-boxes or the tailgaters, in case you may not have the luxury of waiting until the next warm up before needing to use them again. Unless you have a heated garage you can park them in overnight.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

2 years ago when I had my s-10 I did a salt run to get more salt for a friend, I had them load the 6' bed heaping with salt and we only used half of it or roughly to the top of the bed sides. I parked the truck for 17 days with the salt tarped and it was fine the next time we used the salt. the key is keeping it dry and you will be fine

8. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Be careful of the heated garage...

Just a quick note...we had a problem with a sub whose spreader kept freezing up. Couldn't figure out why since he kept it in a heated garage. After putting on our thinking caps we found the answer.... After leaving the warm confines, the condensation that formed along the inside walls of the spreader was freezing up now that he was out in the cold! He started keeping the truck outside, tarped the load and did fine the rest of the winter. Although, I must admit, I prefer to just empty the spreaders...easier to start them and run them briefly prior to filling them the first time of the day. :waving:

9. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

I PUT A PIECE PLYWOOD WITH 12" SIDES IN MY BED COVERED IT GOOD WITH A TARP NO PROBLEMS. BUT I ALSO SPRAYED THE WOOD WITH DECK SEALER.

10. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

hollywood

can you take a picture of your truck i want to see what you have set up to hold the salt in with the plywood

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Bagged salt here.:)

12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I thought that I could try bulk in my tail gate spreader. Bad move. We loaded the spreader at the pile which was dry, loose and I think better than bagged. Drove less than 5 min. Spreader clogged, I could not fix it then, So I spread it with my big spreader. We plowed for 23hrs, so we let it sit over night. The next day it was harder than concrete. I hit it with a spade shovel and 25lb sledge hammer. Took 2 hours to clean it out. My next call was to my supplier for 3 pallets of bagged.

13. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

REMMERS I'll take a pic today.

14. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member