1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk loading in the bed?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mrwolf, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

I can get bulk here in Indy for about 1/3 the price of bags and I am a one man show. I thought about getting one of those poly water tanks that is about 4x4' square to put in the bed and load my snowex 1075 from that with a shovel? I can get through an event with one ton and the one ton would easily fit in the 275gal poly tank.

I was just gonna cut the top off and make a lid. I have never bought bulk but I assume they can load it with a front end loader? If my source has a 1yd bucket available this should work.

What do you guys think? This would take my salt profit from about $300 to $450 per event.

Z

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Wolf,

They would have to have a pretty narrow bucket or a side dump bucket to load with otherwise it'd be messy wouldn't it ?

Great notion though.
    Pete

3. dlocke

dlocke Junior Member

I have a guy that comes in with a tote a few times a year. We just load the corner of the bucket and dump in multiple times. No problem. We r in Bargersville.

4. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

What is your price per ton? Shoot me some contact info, would love to give my business to you. Thanks for the tip!

Z

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

yessir, glad I followed this thread that's a good notion indeed.
    Thanks,
    Pete

6. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

you could have them load it on the ground and then use a fork lift to put it back in your truck. Or load the corner of the bucket but you will get some in your truck. I've loaded square tubs to heavy cardboard boxes for customers. This year it seem everyone wants salt in a big super sack.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just buy a V box.

8. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Played around with that last year. Bought some 1 yard poly tubs. Need to load on ground then put in with a forklift. Not a huge fan. Switched bag to blend in a bag by the end of season.

9. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I'd either be getting a v-box, or consider the big supersacks instead, I would think that digging out of a large tote would be a pain reaching over the sides all the time.

10. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Do you know anyone with a mason dump? why not have them go get it for you and dump it off at your yard.

11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Go get yourself a whole pile of 5 gallon pails. Load them up at the yard and no spilled material to pay for. Load the pails into the truck and you have ballast and product to refill the spreader. Pails are a cheap one time investment that would work great in this application. No point in paying for spillage that you may not recover out of the back of the truck or paying for totes too heavy to lift.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

couldn't have said it better myself.

13. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Good thoughts all around. I would love to buy a Vbox and probably will after this season (my first one :blush2:

I had not thought of reaching over the sides of the container, that will get old! A ton of salt would be like 35 buckets I think?That is an awful lot of work.

think I will use a big container and shift to a Vbox next year. I assume the bulk loads right into the Vbox??

Thanks all!

Z

14. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

$35 a ton is really cheap! Maybe 6 years ago.

15. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

It is less work to pick up the bucket once to put it in the back of the truck and then again to dump it into the spreader vs. sitting in the back shovelling it into the hopper. Especially if it is snowing or sleeting. You would be done in far shorter a period of time. Bulk will indeed load into a v-box.

16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

That' what some guys around here do who can't justify a v-box

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

LOL he said 35 buckets not 35 bucks :waving:

18. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

you could also build a box, within your bed, out of wood, or fiberglass.. unless of course you don't have anything to covor your bed with.. i suppose you could build a top with maybe a hinge so you can flip it open when you need access and flip it closed when your driving.. make it sturdy enough to lift off of your truck when your getting filled up though if you go that route..

19. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I recently had the same thoughts. I just finished building a plywood box about 6ft long, 4ft wide, and 2ft tall. The back has two removable panels to take out as the salt level lowers as to make it easier to shovel into my tailgate spreader. The top is double hinged so I can open only the back half if needed, then both halves fold up against the truck to divert salt in when a loader dumps it. To avoid spillage, I hold a scoop shovel against the back of the box as the salt is dumped in, as the loader bucket is just over 6ft wide. I crowned the top of the box with a curved piece of aluminum screwed underneath so water runs off the top and not between the splice. It also makes it stronger so the weight of snow sitting on top doesn't make it sag.

I don't spread enough salt to justify a vbox, but I will save a lot of money on salt, plus I still have good rear visibility. I also installed a 80lb vibrator on my spreader so it would flow.

1223111414.jpg

downsized_1223111413a.jpg

downsized_1223111413.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  20. bosworth

bosworth Junior Member
    from MI

some good ideas here, thanks for sharing...

bosworth