1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Load of Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CapeCodSnoopy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. CapeCodSnoopy

CapeCodSnoopy Junior Member

Just got a load of bulk "Magic Salt" delivered to our shop. The guy's loaded up the sanders the night before, and when they went out to salt the next morning, a few of the loads froze solid in the hoppers. Is it due to the moisture content in the salt? The sanders were not covered overnight.

Any thoughts? We normally use sand/salt mix without any freezing issues.:help:
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

You need to lay in a supply of windshield washer fluid
    to be poured over the salt and sand as it is loaded
    on the spreader and avoid preloading.

The magic salt attracted the moisture from the
    surrounding air and the walls of the spreaders
    if they are metal. Tarps wont help you much if
    the spreader trucks are out in the cold.
  3. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

one of the many reasons I will never use magic salt again;.that happened to me with 40 trucks
  4. CapeCodSnoopy

CapeCodSnoopy Junior Member

So I guess you don't get that problem with straight salt.? I find a heavier concentrate of salt/sand mix works better anyway, correct? It gives you the melting factor, and also supplies a grip factor during a re-freeze.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

magic salt

You will have the same issues with straight Halite
    too unfortunately if left out overnight..

The less salt you use with a mix the better if left in
    side or left out side in a covered shed.

The windsheild washer fluid works very well for
    straight sand only as well. :yow!::waving::drinkup::sleeping: