1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk in tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by T-Trim, Jan 23, 2008.

1. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

What is your exp. with bulk salt in a tailgate spreader?

Just like to see the pro's and con's of bulk salt.

2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

1 get it 'fresh' ie it hasn't been handled and re-handled before it gets to the salter. it has to be free flowing

2 keep it dry, indoor storage cold and dry

3 screen it. screen hole size 3 times a salt granule each

3. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

You mean larger that the size of the salt? Just checking.

I learned that bulk salt doesn't work for ?.;' in a walkbehind long ago.

4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I run bulk salt thru a snow ex 575 mini pro all the time. I don't have to use a vibrator either. I have been doing this for 4 yrs now. I get my salt from a bulk supplier and I keep it indoors . The only time I buy bagged salt is when I run out of bulk because bulk is so cheep. I make a killing on it. We also bag it up so it is easy to handle. If you want I will post some pics later on how we do that. Has worked great for us. I think the most important thing is to keep it as dry as possible.

Good Luck,
    James

5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Sure I like to see how your bagging system works.

6. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

same here, lets see

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, I'd like to see it too. I'm getting a shipment of 10 tons of bulk today, and I have a pretty good feeling I'll have some extra at the end of the season. So I was thinking about bagging it up.

8. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Here is how we handle our bulk salt.
    Pic #1 We pick up 3 ton from the yard
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/dailyphoto7/IMG_0202.jpg
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/dailyphoto7/IMG_0204.jpg

Pic #2 We use the fiberglass bags the you would get you grass seed in and put 50 lbs in each bag and stack it on the skid, that way all we have to do is load it on the truck and go to work. We reuse the bags after each storm. It takes 2 guys 1 hour to bag 3 ton. This is a lot cheaper than buying bagged material.
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh229/dailyphoto7/IMG_0203.jpg

We have been doing this for several yrs now and until I buy a V-box I will always do it this way.

9. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I've put about 10 tons of bulk salt through my SnoWay tailgate spreader this year without a problem. It does need a vibrator though.

I keep 3-5 32gal Rubbermade garbage cans in the back of my truck, and fill the hopper from them using a large grain scoop.

10. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Thanks you for your guy's input.

11. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I used a Fisher Speedcaster II for 3 years, just salt, no problems other than leaving it in there when the temp. went down to zero - froze solid.

12. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare Junior Member
    from ny

Does anyony out there use Bayers salters? I am going to buy one next looking for feedback on
    how they hold up and motor life or should I buy another brand Tailgate spreader:redbounce:redbounce:yow!::yow!:

13. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare Junior Member
    from ny

:yow!::yow!:Does anyony out there use Byers salters? I am going to buy one next looking for feedback on
    how they hold up and motor life or should I buy another brand Tailgate spreader:redbounce:redbounce:

14. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

last season my supplier ran out of bagged salt and i had to get bulk instead it works fine as long as it doesnt get much moisture in it and i use a snow x 375

15. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I use the Buyers tailgate spreader. I have been using bagged rock salt and bagged all purpose sand with no problem what so ever.
    I just installed a vibrator so I can run Bulk mix.
    The best way to make sure the pieces are small enough to run thru ANY hitch or tailgate spreader is to make a screen for it.
    I made one using 3/4 expandable metal. It is the perfect size holes.
    They will run anything that goes threw the holes. Anything bigger gets stuck.