1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

built new salt bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigearl, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I just built a salt bin inside my shop, it is 12x12 and 4 ft tall hopefully it keeps the salt dryer than it was last year ( outside )
    salt bin 001.jpg

salt bin 002.jpg

salt bin 003.jpg

salt bin 001.jpg

salt bin 002.jpg

salt bin 003.jpg

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

nice work!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd dump the tarp you'll be pissing and moaning with it gets stuck in the bucket

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I definitely think you'll achieve your goal of keeping your salt dryer :p Looks good, you should build me one!

5. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

the tarp is no problem I have to shovel the salt in my tailgate spreader

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Let us know how it works out, thats alot of shovleing how many ton are you getting

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Then I'd be pissing and moaning that you have to shovel!:help:

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Looks good Earl :salute:

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great job Earl. Only bad part would be the shoveling.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

nice earlwesport

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice Earl, much cheaper then bags.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

When salt was $42-$60 a ton it was way cheaper to shovel, but not with salt way way over a hundred, i dont know????? There may not be that much savings

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Around here I can still buy salt for $66/ton and bags are $200. I hate bags or shovelling, that's why I use a loader. LOL:drinkup:

14. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

My question would be how much salt are you going to be putting in there? Those sides look like they might bust out if you heap up the pile, but I tend to over build things.

15. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Couldn't you rig up a small conveyor with a 3-4hp mower engine to load tailgate spreaders? Hell, even if it was hand crank it would be easier. I think it would pay for itself in the first year. Forget shoveling....and I'm 17, I couldn't imagine some of you guys killin yourselves loading those spreaders

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

earl try buying 5 gal buckets, you can have them pre filled, and sitting in the bed of your truck with the lids on them , they each hold about 50 lbs, but its nice becasue you can load it on your off days, and not stress out your back doing it all at once

whos yellow V box in the back round? fisher? or highway?

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i had a SS breakdown 5 yrs ago, with no choice, i had to shovel 4 tons (2 loads) in a vbox, and i had the flu.... i paid for it a few days later with a trip to the hospital

18. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I'm puttng 10 tons in there at 80 bucks a ton

19. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I have a plastic tool box that I use for that purpose that is a pita to fill but I git r done

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The new salt bin looks good. I assume the tarp is there to protect the concrete. We have a concrete floor in our salt bin and in a few years we have very very little damage and ours is outside. I think with your salt being warm and dry it won't affect the concrete at all. JMO