1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Built hydraulic wing plates for my salt truck plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SNOWLORD, Dec 3, 2011.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

They took a little longer than I thought. But here they are they can actually fold all the way back to the plow frame and be pinned as if they were not even there if you dont want to use them at all.
  2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good!
  3. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Nice work should be a time saver.
  4. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Looks cool, let us know how they work.
  5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Good ingenuity. Like a front Ebling plow. Probably can't patent it but a good idea non the less.
  6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

They look good. Do you have any ground clearance issues when transporting plow up and wings in the retracted position? Also, how much weight does it add to the plow?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent. Looks like those hoses are going to need something holding them in place.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

you have been staying up to late thinking about projects.

those are nice!

need a set of those on a bobcat blade... :nod:
  9. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

what happens if your wing hits something hard do you have any relief valves? if you need some ideas i can help.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Weight I would guess between 100and 150lbs per wing. No clearance issues when transporting as they swing all the back and against the existing frame of plow and can be pinned there. Yes Joe Blade I do have a relief for both sides. I will say that to get a wing to rotate from box position to back to the frame of plow way past center with one cylinder is no small task. Lots of trial and error and positioning. If I wouldnt have had the cylinders laying on the shelf I may have bought actuators like HLA uses but I priced them out at $750 a piece so I went cheap. I was in a hurry last night finishing things so I need to spend a little more time to fine tune but it all works. I need restrictors in line as they move a little fast. We are supposed to get 5 inches of snow tonight so I get to try them out tonite. I will let you all know how they work in the real world and I am generally not easy on things so we will see. I also just used some old box plow rubber on the bottom of the wings also something I had laying around, If all works well I may change to a steel cutting edge that floats in a pocket we will see. With all the stuff we build here I always go cheap in the beginning until I know it will work then advance to better components. Thanks for the compliments
  11. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

if you use it soon get us some pics! if you want to tweak the reliefs try pushing the gate edges with the forklift and watch when they let "go" if you tee a hdraulic gauge in there it will tell you the pressure you want good luck!
  12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I want to add some wings on my skid blade but have to haul it around so something like you did would work nice. Although on the skid it may be more complicated to figure out? I've got an electric control switch for an additional function but not sure how to go about it. I also need to be able to run the curbs with them.

Any way, does that truck have central hydraulics?
  13. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Thats awesome, what kind of truck is that plow on? Got any pics of the whole setup?
  14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Looks good snowflake. It'll be a huge improvement over the way it was
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thats cool! Hope they work well for you 2nite! Good luck...and dont forget the camera.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

"Snowflake" thems fightin words, you might want to watch it when your plowing tonite I might sneak up on you and hit you with a sack of nickels.
  17. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Oh geez, Didn't mean any harm. Snowflakes are pretty and no two are alike they tell me. Thought it was a compliment.......... Anyways, we are back to moving anow and more importantly, maybe we can get them sleds out sometime!

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Just messin with ya. We will be out by 4am see ya.
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ebling's wouldn't need a shear bolt if they built them like this. BTW a wing plow has been around for 30 years. Blade looks really really good, I'd rather have your blade as a main frame over a Horst any day. I would also take Joe Blade up on any questions you have.
  20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Just as importantly, what do you figure they cost - time in.

Price it, as if you were building set number 2, not your test set.

Or, what is your ROI?

Looks like a money SAVER to me. ( I would always rather save 1$, than have to make 10.)