1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

built a mailbox protector

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jasburrito, Nov 30, 2014.

1. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Kids and I followed a plow truck last week and watched the snow blasting off its side blade destroy three mailboxes. The blast of snow also blew many mailbox doors open with mail flying out. So I decided to built a mail box guard. First time living on a rural road. Any issues with what I built? Thanks. O I shot a baldy. First time cleaning a deer by myself. Buck fever. Plowsite rules. Cheers.

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice build...and congrats on the venison!! Tomorrow starts our week long deer gun season and we are looking for a few for the freezer.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's what they do around here. Problem with the gumby boxes is, the post only goes so far up and when the snow hits the box it snaps its weak point.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like the idea but, the post closest to the road is going to get broke off by a wing.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He'll just have his wife stand there when the plow comes by.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say most people around here that has problems with there boxes getting destroyed by plows Installs Swing type mail boxes
  7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Swing away might be cheaper. For the door I just use a cotter pin to hold it closed. Mail person hasn't said anything about it.
  8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My neighbors (who no one in the neighborhood likes) always seem to lose their mailbox during storms, as our street is plowed by our other neighbors. Thumbs Up So they decided to try making their own swing away. Problem is that their mailbox door will fly open as the mailbox swings away if the snow smashes it, then bye bye mail. Its quite funny. :laughing::laughing:Thumbs Up
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We call it "The mailbox readjustment" when the plow comes down the line, with the sidewing out pushing the banks back.

The only ones that survive are the swinging ones made out of steel piping

I have a cheep plastic box, the kind that slides over a 4x4.

The 4x4 goes into a PVC pipe that is in the ground so replacing it is easy. and I have 2 4x4's cut to length out by the garage ready for the refinement.
  10. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I just plow real good around and in front of my mailbox... clean into the road there as well...

I've never had a mailbox issue as there's no snow to smash it. The plow drivers are used to me keeping it clean, and swing out around it actually.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I really appreciate people like you. I do my best to go around mailboxes and honestly 99% of the mailboxes that get hit the plow never touches. The snow coming off the plow and wing hit some mailboxes and it can destroy the cheep ones. The ones that hang from chains are also really bad because when the snow hits the box the box goes flying, the door come open, and the mail goes everywhere.
  12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have mine in a Milk can. If it goes flying I just stand it back up. :)
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

LOL I seen a few that does that
    My father He has 8'' steel pipe with concrete The mailbox sets on a 10'' I beam with a plate bent over the top. State truck guy learned not to hit it, once he broke his wing.

He didn't build it for the plow trucks . His mailbox would get smash from kids playing mailbox baseball. One day there was a broken bat laying out there.