Snow Plowing Forum banner

Built a back rack today.

9K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  DieselSlug 
#1 ·
Built a back rack today. Not bad for $102.00.

Attachments

#28 ·
If anybody who has built their own has dimensions for the steel for an F-150 standard box I might tack one up myself.... let me know... saves blowing $300!

#29 ·
OUTstanding, Landmark1. :salute:

Would this stuff work for such a project? Fastenal has a location near me, but their prices are just the first I've looked at. 2"x.120"Wallx6'L ASTM A513 Type1 LowCarbSteel ERW SquareTube
The .120" wall is considered ⅛" thickness, right?
They also list 1" and 1½". How well would 1½" work out?
Couldn't find any plate ("Steel Shim Flat Sheet") on their site thicker than .031", and I don't think I want a package of ten, or to have to laminate 'em. :rolleyes:

Haven't yet talked to the guy I'd hire to do the welding for me, and he may know of a lower-cost source for the steel.

#31 ·
maelawncare;920191 said:
If your not gonna do it yourself, and your not gonna get the steel cheaper than $100.

Then your better off just buying a backrack. Their only $230.
Lowest price I've seen on-line so far for the basic rack for my truck was $234.97. The three brackets I need would make it $365.32, and that place has free shipping on orders over a certain amount.
Another Internet vendor would have been just over $440 with the brackets and shipping.

If any of the five dealers in my state (all of them an hour-and-a-half or more from where I live) have a better price than the first Web dealer has, it might be worth a drive. I already know one of them just lists STK Pro Racks, at $325 base price.

I've been checking eBay for a used one, but nothing's shown up yet.
The search goes on . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.