1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Built a back rack today.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Landmark1, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Built a back rack today. Not bad for $102.00.

Attached Files:

2. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Heres a few more pics.

Few more pics. The last pic of it painted isnt that great, it will be on the truck Sat. so i will post a better pic then.

Attached Files:

3. Dankman

Dankman Junior Member

Thats awesome Landmark1 ! I was just thinkin of doin that myself today. and $102 is pretty damn good price too, maybe you can start a little side bizz doin it. Well if ya fab up another one i'll buy it from ya.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

All you guys building your own are going to put these other guys out of business,lol They all seem to be a great job! :D

5. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Looks great, can't wait to see it on the truck.

6. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Looks good

Alot of money for that if you ask me. Mine was $62 Did you have the metal place cut it all for you? The steel for mine was $42 then add primer and paint

7. Dankman

Dankman Junior Member

@KingDuramax- $62 ?!!! Wow, thats even better.Is it one you made yourself? Lets see some pic's,hell sounds better than $102 , lol! sorry Landmark1,but... i'm sure it all depends where you get your materials or how you come across one.- i.e ebay or something.Either way I would like one soon so I can mount some back-up lighting on it.

8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Search my posts theres pics on here.

9. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Defiantly one of the easiest ones i have seen. I like it.

10. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i built mine .. but i just built it for my lightbar .. an average backrack price is $250 - 300 range .. built mine for $40

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Do you by any chance have any plans or the measurements and what size steel you used. I am looking into making 2 of these for each truck. Looks good btw.

12. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

looks great how thick is that metal?

13. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

1/8" on both the tube and plate.

14. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Wow people should make these and start selling them. Change um up some. Nice build I need a welder so I can start making stuff.

15. maelawncare

What would be nice is a kit.

Someone make up all the parts cut them and bend them all to the shape they need to be. Include assembly and welding instructions. Then you weld and paint it yourself. That would be cool.

16. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Looks great. :salute:

I haven't fiddled with Micro$oft Paint in years. I might hafta go fire that up and see what I can design with it.

I don't know much about welding except "don't look at the arc" and "don't grab the welded area and shake it to see if it's solid, at least not until after it cools." :jester:
    But I know somebody who knows way more about it than I do. :cool:

17. maelawncare

Hey landmark. Do you remember the sizes of the steel?

I am wanting to build one and really like yours.

18. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, I have thought about something like that for my truck but just haven;t made any decisions yet.

19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks great.

It is not worth trying to make them and selling them.

I built mine and the steel was $ 100 and then cutting and welding them is not worth it takes to much time and then to ship them. Would cost the same as the others and they power coat theres.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good.

For those on here who want a backrack but don't have the tools or skills to fabricate one keep your eyes open for used backracks. I paid $40 for a normal backrack with 4 work lights on it and a cb antenna, and then $40 for a weatherguard headache rack with a FS mini lighbar on it. Both were at auctions about 2 years apart. Sand blast them, primer and paint and they do everything a $300 backrack does.