1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building the perfect plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmertim, Feb 9, 2003.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

Glad to hear every one is plowing, but
    it seems as soon as we all go out to plow we all come back with a broken plow, me included!!!
    Doesn't seem to matter which brand we all use they don't appear to be heavy enough.
    Has anyone approached a plow manufacturing company to design a plow for our extreme use that appears not to be made as of date?
    it would assume it would be a non-traditional plow maker given that the big boys have yet to meet the demands of the commercial plowers.
    Forgive me if this has been covered before, but given the recent posts it seems we are using these plows for much more than they were designed for.
    IF.. I missed a make of plow which has withstanded the stress of our profession..
    LET ME KNOW... my 9' uni-mount will not last with what I have to do..
    :confused:

2. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

There's only so much you could overbuild a plow to obsorb the stress of plowing. If the plow doesn't give way, the truck will.

There's plently of companies that build heavy duty plows for plowing. Viking Cives, Tenco, Lawtons, Fisher MC, Western HD plows, Flink, etc. They all build heavy duty plows, but you can only build a plow so heavy duty enough.

That's just my opinion. I'd rather have a part on the plow break, then the frame on my truck break.

Bryan

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with Bryan, something has to be the weak link and I'd rather have it be the plow. I've got access to a welder so I can make repairs myself 24 hours a day. There are some plows that hold up better than others.

On the other end, if a plow were made so tough it never broke, it would probably be too heavy to carry on the front of a truck!

4. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

i agree with having the plow brake before the truck
    as for the plows there not to bad i have a western pro and no problems so far maby western could add two shock absorbers to there pro plow like the municipal plows thats the only thing i can think of the pumps on westerns are fine and they withstand a good amount of abuse to

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

The fault generally lies with the consumer (us), we (as a whole) buy the mediocre scrap the plow builders put in the dealership.

The attitude for so long has been "that's what we've been using".

But those times/attitudes are changing: Check out the new Western ProPlus or the Boss straight blade trip edge, you will NOT be welding on either of those plows.

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree, something has to give and like mentioned above I'd rather that something be the plow instead of the truck.

I think everyone has heard bad things about every brand of plow at one time or another, but ultimately go with what ever works for you. For example, I have heard bad things about Western products however I run a Western plow and have never had any real problems with it and I would definitely buy another one.

So if your having a problem with your current brand of plow maybe it's time to try a different one. Don't always believe every bad story you hear about certain brands of plows, I know if I did I probably wouldn't even own a plow.

It seems like most people here on plowsite are more partial to Boss, Western and Fisher, however I'm sure there are other members who would never buy one of the three I've just mentioned. Again it all comes down to what works best for you, but just make sure you've personally tried all the different types of plows available before you say none of them are tough enough.
    Just my opinion.

7. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

A plow that strong would twist the frame of a car before it busted. Such a strong plow would have to be straight stainless steel... Expensive and REALLY heavy...
    JP

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

farmertim,maybe some of the reason is the operators? My wife helps me once in a while plowing,I try to keep her out of the trucks,she has good intentions,but she seems to think my pickups are bulldozers.She slams piles,trys to back old/frozen frozen ones:( ,and just whips my plows.If she ran them all the time,Im sure either the truck or plows would be junk(probably both)She has only been in the Dodge 2 hrs this yr.I havent had any plow issues to speak of.I do however use the urethane cutting edges from Dino(plowking35).They have taken a huge load off my plows,a lot of the impacts and slamming is now gone.I dont know if this is the reason,or its the fact that I run Western/Boss/Fishers.I wll say my 6.5 ft fisher on my 95 S blazer is getting torn up pretty good,it dont have much time left,its the only one i have left without a U edge(its mainly a backup).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2003
  9. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

If there was a perfect plow that didn't break down, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to rip us off on parts anymore!:D Thats why they haven't designed the perfect one yet, it would run them out of business. Same thing with the perfect truck. It can be made, but then we'd have thousands of unemployed mechanics and parts guys.:D

10. Dave3

Dave3 Junior Member
    from Indiana

BOSS... Maybe a hydraulic hose or a solenoid but that is it (unless you hook a railroad track at 30 mph). There are six of us that do a couple factory lots plus we all have are own smaller jobs and the only thing we have had break was a hydro line and a solenoid in four years.

11. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

farmertim, the question that imediately popped into my mind when I read your post was: "what kind of plowing are you doing that a 9' western won't stand up to?" We have run Westens in one form or another for over 10 years and have found them to be extremely durable. My current plow (7.5' unimount with prowings) is in it's 6th year of service and I have yet to break it to the point of it being inoperable. (And trust me, I do some heavy duty plowing with the thing and I'm not overly cautious with it). I did weld up a little stronger brace at the pivot this year, but that's it.

It sounds like maybe you should consider a true heavy duty plow on a big truck.

Just my two cents:drinkup: