1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building The New Liquid Deicer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Well we finally ordered the parts for the deicing machine. Parts arrived today and we will start building tomorrow.

Thanks to PJ for his guidance

We will be using a 1000 gallon leg tank, with a briggs motor (not a briggs fan but o well)and a pre build spray bar
    Here is the motor http://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/1195

liquid1 001 (WinCE).jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. Superior L & L

from MI

Spray bar...........8' long and can spray 10' wide

liquid1 003 (WinCE).jpg

liquid1 004 (WinCE).jpg

3. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

looks good, keep us informes on how it works for you.

4. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

What type of truck is that going to sit on?
    How much money are you saving by building it yourself?
    Do you have a storage tank for the liquid?

I am full of questions today.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Cant see pics well but do you have the ability to change nozel types

6. Superior L & L

from MI

Well you can buy a small capacity machine for $3-4000.00 but a large capacity machine was in the $7000.00 range. We will have about $2500 total in to it.

We are picking up storage tanks monday for free off a local farmer.

The truck we are starting with is a 3500HD. I know that is a lot of liquid weight fo rthat truck but we will apply 1/3 of the tank at businesses that are on our street.

7. Cash

Cash Junior Member

1000 gallons plus the weight of that unit is twice the weight of the truck, and the truck will be overloaded by well over 2.5 tons.

I dont even think thats entirely possible. I know you know you need a bigger truck. I just dont want anyone else here thinking you can get away with that for more than three minutes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

umm simple math here.... approx 10.5 lbs per gal x 1000 gals = 10,000 lbs just the weight of the liquid plus all the hardware . so i load my trucks up really over weight ... 5,000 at times... but 10,000? arent most 3500 trucks considered 1 tons? now i know we all go over that , but 4 tons over is a bit much

of course no one says you have to load it max full

i hope you have baffles , that long of a tank , the liquid moving around is gonna be fun , especially if its only 1/2 full

9. Cash

Cash Junior Member

And I wasn't even including net weight of the brine product itself. Thats a crazy mans load....lol

I remember back in the day I had a 1990 dodge 3/4 ton 4wd, and it weighed roughly 4500lbs, and I put 5000 lbs of 1-2" cobblestone in it.

They shook their heads at the scales. I only had to go a mile or so to offload. It was a brand new truck too or i probably wouldnt have done it, and I'd never do it again.

:)

10. Superior L & L

from MI

Yep we have stream nozels(i think thats what there called) installed but we can change to fan if we do anti icing

11. Superior L & L

from MI

Thanks for your concern Elite & Cash. The "unit" weighs in at about 360#'s. 300 for the tank, 54 for the pump/motor and couple of pounds for the valve etc. We bought the larger tank so we have the ability to put it in the 4500's or 5500 at a later date. But while i know it is over weight that truck would have know problem hauling that thing full. We can haul 4-5 tons of stone in it in the summer and it doesnt even sag a bit.

I know people will start posting about the break system etc and motor so lets just say i will be hauling only 500 gallons of liquid max. and lets just keep it at that. I know im a bad person if i drive a truck over loaded because no on else has ever don that, but lets keep this thread about the deicer

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You're going to want fan nozzles, as stream nozzles don't work worth the darn. They just leave lines and don't disperse very well - leaving alot of ice. Brent from Master Seal used these, and said he will never use stream nozzles again.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

now im a little interested in this , i will be using stream nozzels, spaced every 10 inches as PJ said to do. how fare apart were your nozzels?

14. Superior L & L

from MI

That is good to know. I did plan on getting some fan nozzles for anti icing but it sound like i will need them from the get go. As you can tell this is new to me also. Everything i know is from asking questions to everyone i think knows more than me

Do you know what degree fan nozzels too use?

15. Superior L & L

from MI

Elite the bar we bought was a 8' bar that can spray 10' and the nozzels are 8" apart

I wish i had some picks but things didnt go as plan today

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

sounds just like the bar that i made

17. Cash

Cash Junior Member

I've seen those stream or flood nozzles as you guys call them and could never figure out why youd use those vs a fanjet nozzle. I understand the principle of melting the ice from the bottom up too but there has to be a better nozzle than those floods or open tips.

One thing you all need to be concerned about especially when using retrofitted tanks is theres probably no baffeling and theres nothing worse than driving around with a half full unbaffled load of liquid.

You'll find out what I mean on your first trip.

Looks like you are building it HD though. and thats always good.

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

the problem from fan nozzels , is the mist it creates.. sometimes after a storm its very windy here.... and the 10 mph that im trying to drive and spray at isnt gonna help either.... so a fan nozzel ,25-50% might not acctually make the ground, it might be air born .... plus i really dont want the stuff blowing towards my truck , liquid calcium is BAD news for metal

19. Superior L & L

from MI

The systems ive seen running that used fans had TONs of pressure and did a great job but i thought the stream tips woud bust though the ice cover

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

the more PSI , the more mist , generally speaking..low psi is better