1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

building sprayer help needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by firefighting4u, Dec 1, 2008.

1. firefighting4u

firefighting4u Junior Member

hey guys I thought I would post here as I value the opinions on this site and spent countles hours reading posts what I have is the tank hose reel,, fabricated skid unit slide in, 5.5 hp honda motor but what I dont know is what kind of pump to buy for this motor or how big or small I have seen various rates that you guys are spraying and quantities heck even nozzles what I plan on doing is using this unit in the summer months for sealcoating or lawn care I want to buy a pump that will work for this type of work i know there is a big differance in GPM and PSI for these but with setting the idle and or a pressure regulator would probably help ussmileyflag. as far as anti icing application I plan on using something like caliber 1000 but that leads me to my next question anyone know of anywhere near davenport iowa where I am able to get liquid anti/ de-icing chemicals from.
  2. L70

L70 Junior Member

Bump, I would like to know as well
    Would a 6hp 2" trash pump be enough?
  3. turboguy

turboguy Member

L70, What kind of 2" trash pump? A lot of those have aluminum pump housings and it would work but you would be a little more limited on materials since some will really attack aluminum. If it is a poly pump it would be fine but if you want to use a hose set up you will find it is real marginal, but will work. If you are going to pretreat with it I would go a pretty good sized hose and that will give you enough pressure. Maybe around 1".

Firefighting, Some of the trash pump set ups come with the pump and motor already coupled. I have not seen too many who sell the pump head alone but I am sure that can be done. Some may require a threaded shaft on the engine.

I think the best pump set up is a centrifugal such as Ace and Hypro make. They have more pressure and flow than the trash pumps. Ace makes one they call a coated pump. It is impervious to most anything. I am guessing Hypro has something similar. If you decide to use this pump and have any problems finding it locally pm me and I will try and help you.

I have seen one guy on here use a roller pump. It would be another option but the engine does need to have a 6-1 gear reduction and personally I am not that crazy about the idea of using a roller pump on an anti-icing sprayer.

Here are some places in IA you can try.

Cryotech Deicing (D), Ft Madison IA 319-372-6012 E-Mail

Horizon Products (D) Muscatine IA 570-236-9055 E-Mail

Binns & Stevens (D) Oskaloosa IA 641-672-2566

Jerico Services (D) Indianola IA 515-961-6207
  4. PremierSnow

PremierSnow Junior Member

FireFigher Are you looking to buy in bulk (3000) gallons or do you want to buy from someone with bulk tanks?
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Another member on here helped me with a parts list (great help). If you get me your email i will forward it to you.

Or try this
  6. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I don't know exactly where you're located but I went to a place in Cedar Rapids to have a Le**o space saver sprayer converted into a ca.chl. sprayer. Took off my hypro 403 and put on a centrifugal pump, re-routed some plumbing and bam I'm sprayin'. Got a 12' break-away boom on back and can still use my hose reel with a new wand type gun. This will also be able to spray weed control this spring, pretty cool. What type of product you looking to spray? Oh yeah, I got the 5.5 kawi on it too. They just bolted on the new pump.
  7. firefighting4u

firefighting4u Junior Member