1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building salt storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by viper881, Feb 28, 2010.

1. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Building a new salt storage area and curious what ppl prefer for there floors. Concrete or tar? The current one is on a old concrete chicken coop floor and the building is not going to last. What holds up better to the salt and weight of the equiment?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Concrete :cool:

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an asphalt floor about 6" thick. Its as good as new after 20 years. But it would depend on the weight of the equipment your going to run on it. Mine has only seen a skidsteer and tractor.

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Concrete is hd and pavement will also work, what the better price and avalablity to u?

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Concrete is preferred, but asphalt will work. You just have to be careful with using skids on it--will deteriorate quickly.

6. Kubota 8540

Skidsteers on asphalt will deteriorate the asphalt?

7. Westhardt Corp.

In my experience, yes. Now, in fairness, the operator makes all the difference here. Operators that make a ton of zero-turns will tear the asphalt up, especially 2" skin coats (very common here). The constant shearing/scrubbing really takes a toll on the binder, it seems. I will say that we have not had a pile on "really nice new" asphalt, so I can't say how it would hold up. But even with small piles on decent parking lots, I've seen chunking from where the guys would make their spin to load.

I usually put some material down to ease the load on the surface and/or use the bucket to lift the front axle, but that can also damage the surface if done incorrectly. At which point I slap a sewer/water contractor's name on the machine, put up some cones and just dig the lot up. And then leave.

:laughing:

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I use asphalt as well and it holds up well even under the weight of the 580SM and rear axle of the live bottom delivery trucks.I Don't use anything that sits and spins.:laughing:

9. Kubota 8540

OK not to yank your chain , but I thought we had found a new Salt vs. Concrete such as Skidsteer vs. Asphalt. We all know how Salt eats concrete? Oh No, skidsteers eat asphalt!
    Now, properly laid and compacted asphalt and a good mix of asphalt, should not be affected by skidsteer use. There are many variables, heat, turning, weight, etc. But after 20 years mine, having never been sealed, remains in like new condition. I would NEVER recommend 2" of anything ! Depending on availability of asphalt or concrete, I wood choose asphalt. If it were a choice of money, I wood choose concrete. Mine ended up asphalt because I had my own roller, truck and the batch plant was 2 miles away. If I had to pay for someone to lay the asphalt, I would have went with the concrete, because I would have poured it myself. IMO 6" asphalt = 4" concrete?

10. Westhardt Corp.

Exactly. It's not the weight that kills it (unless it's a crap skin coat, in which case it can crack). It's the zero-radius turning that does it. It's like spinning on gravel--it'll take the weight fine, but you'll tear it up quick doing donuts.

:D

11. Westhardt Corp.

Dammit....you beat me (didn't see post). That's exactly it. I suspect we were dealing with low-quality asphalt, but felt it was worth mentioning. The average guy tends to notice bad asphalt...after it starts tearing up.

12. Westhardt Corp.

And salt only eats concrete when it gets very hungry.

Have you not been following that thread??

:mechanic:

13. Kubota 8540

Three requirements if your going to lay some asphalt.........1) HOTTER than the hubs of hell.....2) A good mix.........3) Compaction

A state spec topping mix is best and what I used.

I do have a concrete berm around the base of the asphalt, that salt has laid on and against for 20 years and has had ZERO affect on. I guess the salt I buy is not hungry salt? And that concrete was less than 3 months old when the salt was put on it? So, from my first hand experience ,I would say asphalt or concrete, it won't make a difference. Its what is more affordable or available.

14. Westhardt Corp.

4) A properly prepared base :D

It is amazing how well the same material can turn out when you actually put it down correctly. We have so many hacks up here (in every profession) it's rather disgusting. Almost as disgusting as the people who knowingly hire them because they're cheap....durrr...

15. Kubota 8540

I see it all the time, either no base prep, wrong temp for asphalt, wrong thickness, etc. What a waste.

I guess I didn't mention the 10" of base rock or the 6" of compacted CA-6 under the 6" of asphalt? Just figured I only want to do it once? But should have used galvanized fasteners and brackets to connect the walls to the concrete.....cheapa$$ :laughing:

And I'm a carpenter by trade....... :laughing:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. Westhardt Corp.

I remember you mentioning those...why, off all the silly places to save a buck...

At least they're replaceable. If you drilled the holes deep enough, anyway.

17. Westhardt Corp.

(you should see my driveway--4" asphalt, with a base that must have not been rolled....at all, It's now hollow, and cracks under a car)

:(

18. Kubota 8540

I love how the guys around here do the asphalt, it looks to be 4" thick on the edges, but only 1-2" in the middle. They don't take the crown off the gravel before laying the blacktop. If your in one of those subdivisions, they probably just pushed the gravel in with a skidsteer, back dragged, a little plate compacting if your lucky, then laid the asphalt.

19. Kubota 8540

Honestly can say, I don't have a clue why. But they did last for 20 years. Should be a easy fix. But I'm going to do a little remodel this spring now that the shed is EMPTY. Going to raise the roof 4' so, I'll take care of the other problems while I'm at it.:D

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Hate to hijack the thread but you're hitting on my idea a few years ago of Pre-Snow-Removal. Installing Heated driveways:D With the size of the lots now. I'm thinking about, thinking about it again:laughing:
    Year round snow removal. Plowing in the winter, installing heated drives in the summer! Maybe I can be the next SIMA Snow Warrior.