1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building Salt Bin - Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Patrick34, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

At my shop, we have some space in the parking lot to build a salt storage area so we can purchase bulk salt 50 yards at a time. To retain the salt in one area, I am thinking of getting some of those large cement blocks you see at the local landscape suppliers, but those blocks are something like 4000 pounds a piece, and I don't know if I want that hastle to buy them (several hundred dollars) and to move them around.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what would work.

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I built mine with railway ties, and just used rebar and spikes to hold it together. They are just staggered so it has good strength. My bin is small, about 15X15 but i'm sure it would work for a bigger one.
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

try plastic jersey barries and fill them with water the weight will hold the salt and dont fill then all the way up so frez wont break them...
  4. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

How big would this salt storage area have to be to hold 50 tons?