1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building plow for utility tractor, hydrolics question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Elwer Lawn Care, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

I got an older Curtis plow that im going to attach to the front of my utility tractor. I want to run the angle cylinders off of the tractors hydrolic hook ups in the rear of the tractor. My question is, how do i hook up the hydrolics of the tractor to both of the cylinders of the plow? It sounds too simple to just hook the feed into one cylinder and the return into another but I have no clue to be honest.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That is how you do it. ;)

Don't forget the crossover relief valve.

3. Elwer Lawn Care

Thats what I remembered reading about some time ago but couldnt remember. Can you give me more of an explination of what it is or where it installs.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

look up the curtis parts website, the drawings and part numbers are right there

5. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Doesn't the Curtis have the pump in the A-frame? Simple 12v hookup and save the tractor to run hydraulics elsewhere. I have been watching for a cheap Curtis to mount to my front end loader and use their hydraulics since I am out of outlets on my tractor with the loader and the blade on the back and don't really want to get into more valves. I have a Fisher MM that I guess I will be using unless I find one SOON. Our last February has scarred me. :)
    Massey 275 How bout you?
    Chad

6. Elwer Lawn Care

you know what, i never looked into it much since i dropped it up back by the woods. i know there is a plastic cover covering something but never researched it much. but ill have to check.
    putting it on a McCormick CT28

7. Elwer Lawn Care

I should of looked at the plow better before now. There is a pump so that should make it easier. Can also make my own controls so i have easier access when angling the plow. Not bad for only spending 300 on this plow.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Problem is your tractor may not have enough alternator to operate the plow motor.

9. Elwer Lawn Care

thats true, i wondered about that

10. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'll save you the worry and trade you my Fisher for it:) Alternators are easy also (for mine atleast).
    Is it 4wd/assist?
    Chad

11. Elwer Lawn Care

Im actually not certain if it has it or not. Here is a picture of what its going on...

josh truck tractor 2.jpg

new truck tractor.jpg

old truck tractor.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  12. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

13. Elwer Lawn Care

ya they are 4wd. They call them industrial tires which seem to be a litle less nobby as true ag tires. Yes mounting to the loader.

14. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

ahhh, the pics are bigger now...
    Good luck, I hope it works as good as I plan ;)
    Chad

15. Elwer Lawn Care

Just an update, I found a good deal on a slightly used boss plow for my truck so this plow has just been sitting. Thinking about trying to sell this plow just the way it is now or take the pump off and make it to work on a skid steer and sell it next fall. That would give me time to fabricate it up over the summer.