1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

building my salt bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by John Mac, Nov 7, 2008.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Could not think of a way to get 16' in the air to make my bin until I thought of this. Pallet is strapped down to the bucket. Size of bin is 16' x25' and 16' high. Did the same thing when it came time to pull the top on, real PITA. Paving the floor Monday. That house in the background is not mine, new owner just moved in, I think they don't like the new bin, oh well.
    View attachment 44370

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

nice looking bin, a little back yard enginuity always comes in handy. but ya better trust that operator, and hope he doesnt sneeze. lol. GL with the 09 season.

3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

The operator was me. I made my helper tie a rope to his waist. I was not real happy about the idea but "run what you brung" is what I do. Once he was up in the air I would shut the machine off.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

photo's with the roof on

paving floor monday.

1108081244a[1].jpg

salt bin 3.jpg

sat bin2.jpg

1108081244a[1].jpg

salt bin 3.jpg

sat bin2.jpg

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Waite till OSHA see you standing on that bucket.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Not a good Idea to post that picture on the web:...:dizzy: :dizzy:

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Ok, photo gone, I doubt that OSHA is looking at this site, and I know they have bigger fish to fry than me. Your point did cross my mind though. It was pretty safe, I have been on ladders unsafer than what we did. I have watch many guys put many a man in a bucket to lift them out of a hole, or a loader bucket, stand on the roof of a dump truck etc. You should see the scaffolding that many use and the way they set it up would scare the crap out of you. The only other option I had was to rent a lift, not that I have not done that in the past but salt is on the way so no time to wait.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

That's high.
    Where did you get the cover?

8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I got the cover from Farmtek. The blocks are 6' and the roof is 10'. 40 to 50 tons should fit no problem with out going over the blocks. I will use it for summer storage of winter stuff or topsoil if I empty it this winter.

9. RichG53

They will go after any minnow they find...They are self funding....:gunsfiring:

10. RichG53

You should read about how many roofers , electricians , carpenters they go after...over here

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Ball park how much $$. I need to do somhing different than what I have now. Not sure about those coverall type things, we get some serious wind here.

12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Rich, thats why I took the hoto down, better safe than sorry. The roof is very strong IMO. I get a lot of wind and a huge amount of snow. I will be able to tell you in the spring for sure.

13. RichG53

Good Idea....Big brother is watching.....

14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

RLM, the blocks cost 55 for the 6' ones and 35 for the 3' ones. Delivery of the blocks was 75 each trip, took 3 trips. The truck set the blocks for me but I had to reset a few with my excavator. Total in blocks was around $2000, the roof was $1338 to my door. Asphalt around $600.00. All the labor we did but I had to pay my help for the day. I would think around $4000 should get it built with your labor.

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Looks real nice!

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

thanks superior, nothing like jddave s but you got start somewhere. Like I posted before the firts year of bulk is a big jump from bagged.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think your setup is perfect, we used tarps up untill we bought the Coverall 5 years ago. The tarps bring back so many fond memories. LOL

18. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Dave, yours and many other post about the found memories of tarps is the reason I went for the bin with the roof and asphalt floor. I can just imagine the wonderfull fun times from pulling a tarp off of a salt pile covered by a foot of wet snow and 30 mph winds. To old for that, part of the reason for bulk was to work less not more. The tarps could of been more work than bagged.

19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

why didnt you use youre forklift's?

i gues next time i could loan you my ladder truck

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  20. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I wonder what OSHA would say? I like the two forklift idea. Looks like the china boys don't have no stinkin' osha? Just little off topic story, I was digging for a storm line last summer, trench was 4' deep the inspector came over a said I needed a trench box, my reply was " put the stone and the 12" pipe in the hole and you will be just fine". Needless to say I wasn't going to use a trench box.