1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a swing-away gate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Runner, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Runner

Runner Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I posted this on the Ice forum, but got absolutely no replies, so I thought I would try it here.
    Has anyone here built their own swing gate for their tailgate spreader? I'm looking to do this, and I would like to see some pics of anyone's who has. I pretty much have a design laid out, and I'm using using a 3" pipe over top of another pipe for the swing hinge. This will be butted with a piece of 3/8"flat stock approx. 5"x7", bolted to the top of the step bumper. The top will be anchored to the top of the bedrail. The passenger side (recieving side) will be much the same way, but using 2" sq. tubing. The end of the gate will be channel that will surround the sq. tubing when closed, and be kept in place by two pins. I will have two or three pieces of sq. tubing running horizontally across for the gate itself. Any other ideas and/or pics are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I didn't build my own I bought a Buyers wintergate. If I had to do it over again I would have built my own. The trouble was I didn't know anyone who had one and the pictures didn't show much so I ended up buying one. I ended up making some modifications to it. If you want to see pictures of it so to get some ideas just let me know.

3. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I'd like to see some photos. Thanks.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Me too. I'll post some pics of mine when I get it done, also.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Here are some pics.

salt spreader 001.jpg

salt spreader 002.jpg

salt spreader 003.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

This picture shows the flatstock that we added to the top mount brackets. The stock brackets used 4 bolts to hold them to the rails of the truck box. The way that the Chevy boxes are made, I could only use 2 bolts cause the holes in the bracket interfered with the stake pockets. So, to make the mount more supportive we welded flatstock to the mount and were able to bolt the mount further up the side of the box without drilling into the top rail. The top brackets only have 3 bolts holding them on now as opposed to 4. This not only lessed the amount of holes to drill in the truck but make the mount much stronger.

salt spreader 004.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Hey Runner, If you want the mounting brackets off mine, give me a call at 734-320-4700. You'll just have to take them off.

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Thank you so much for that. I can't tell you how considerate of an offer that is. I have some corner brackets from how the spreader was mounted before. These are just putting a little more use on the bed rails than I was thinking of doing. I'm sure this will work, though. DCLS, Thank you so much for going through the trouble of taking and posting these photos. I appreciate it greatly.