1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Super plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by welj31, Jan 20, 2009.

1. welj31

welj31 Member

Hello I am looking to build a FORD super plow truck (dont want to buy a new truck) and need help with which one to start with. I would like to know what you think. The truck will be used for driveways and a couple church parking lots. I want to use a older (pre 2000 truck ) We get a fair amount of snow here, small town so MPG wont be a big factor, needs to be able to plow heavy wet snow and bust lose ice ad packed banks. All with out getting stuck.
    1st which type of front end .. solid axle or ??
    2ed Gas or diesel if gas carb or injected?
    3erd Short or long wheel base std cab or ext cab?
    4th Gearing?
    5th Lockers or spool or?? traction is very poor here most of the winter.
    6th Tcase type
    7 tires and lift kit type (body or sup ) I have been looking at green dimon icelander tires?
    any other ideals you could ad to help me build it thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The truck may "bust through ice and hard packed snow but the blade sure won't.
    It will go through some hard pack but I have not seen a blade break loose ice thatsbeen on the ground for awhile and thick.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

buy a 3/4 ton dodge cummins, buy a plow and plow. I dont know if there is such thing as a super plow truck....

4. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

im a chevy guy but the 460 gas job and 7.3 diesel are great pushers id go gas just cause i hate listening to the diesel all storm long. straight axle 4:10 gears and an auto. lift kits dont help plow, harder to see the plow and more crap to break. i preffer single rear wheels and bfg commercial t/a"s

5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

On the body style you want look for a F350, that will give you the solid front D60 axle. The F250 with the TTB D50 will be a money pit with a plow on it, it will eat tires, ball joints, tie rods, ect...

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Any truck will do that ,even a Dodge. It's the guy behind the wheel that does the real work.

7. Whitey

Whitey Member

Couldn't't agree more I have a 96 f 250 which I am on me third front axle as they keep tearing between the u bolts not to mention the axle joints and ball joints I have gone through. On my f 350 I plowed four seasons and had 90000 on it before I changed ball joints

8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Well, if it was up to me and I built it myself...

92-97 F-250 or F-350 body style
    EFI 460
    C6 trans
    BW-1356 t-case
    Dana 60 in front, Chev 14 bolt in rear w/ disc brakes
    4.10 gears, locker in the front and spool in the rear

That will be more than enough to handle 33" tires long term.

If you don't mind the earlier body style, you can get an '88-'91 F-350 with all of the above except for the 14 bolt rear. The two reasons I didn't include the stock 10.25 rear are the costs of converting them to discs and pinion issues with them.

My '88 F-250 has all the above except that it's geared 5.13, runs an Eaton disc'ed rear axle (earlier version of the 14 bolt) and runs 42" tires.

9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

99 F450 4x4 diesel ext. cab short chassis, lockers, convert to single rear wheel.

Solid front axle, 4.88 gears, lotsa power, room in the cab for emergency equipment.

10. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I'm getting ready to sell the truck you need. PM me your mail and i can send you a picture or 2.

Toyman

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Best advice I have seen on this forum.

12. welj31

welj31 Member

to dodge or not to dodge

I do like the cummins engine ....but thats as far as i go with dodge. I have owned four and worked on many and I just cant afford to have that kind of down time. No one here likes the IFS trucks? I just got the first one i have ever owned a 91 f150 ext and like the ride but I do question how strong the front end is. Rear end is nice when it works has a locker of some type. I am thinking f350 or f450 short would be best for tight drives. How bout tires any one using the icelanders?

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Tires I really liked my 235/85-16 Starfire (off brand made by Cooper) great traction, lots of siping, but a little small 30" in diameter for a 1 ton. I just replaced them with 255/85-16 Dunlop rover rvxt good traction and bigger 33" which fit the truck better.
    I do not know about the icelanders.
    Truck wise; 1 ton, diesel, automatic, solid axle, short wheel base, skinny tires, no lift kit. If you must get a gasser then get a fuel injected one.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What is the most recent Dodge w Cummins you have owned? I find my 2004.5 to be trouble free so far, other than replacing the fuel pump and a couple u joints. Total downtime when I needed the truck - 0.

15. welj31

welj31 Member

Sorry i dont personaly own a dodge anymore I do hear good things about the cummins and dodge drive trains in general, but at the same time I have seen many high priced special order parts for dodges. Most recent was a 3/4 ton needing break rotors that took 2 weeks to get. Right now I have a dodge dokota in my garage that needs a trans front seal ( simple right? wrong) Its like this thing was made so you cant work on it. A total nightmare. And my all time fav, I once owned a 1983 dodge. One day the right front brake stuck so I pulled it apart and found that dodge had used WOOD pistons in this truck.... I checked with several Mopar fans and found this to be true. I think if dodge was still building cars out of wood in the 80's it will be 2030 before they can build a good one out of metal. Now dont get mad this is just good natured joking around. I do it with all my mopar friends. By the way you know why they call in a mopar.... cause it needs more power. sorry could not help myself. Thanks for the help guys I will keep checking back.

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

And my all time fav, I once owned a 1983 dodge. One day the right front brake stuck so I pulled it apart and found that dodge had used WOOD pistons in this truck.... I checked with several Mopar fans and found this to be true. I think if dodge was still building cars out of wood in the 80's it will be 2030 before they can build a good one out of metal.

Thats some funny chit right there!

17. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Are you sure you didn't mistake it for a phenolic piston?

18. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

wood calipers ? haha

[​IMG]

19. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I have owned 1980, 84, 85, and 89 Dodges and never had a wood brake piston, so that is news to me. My favorite plow truck that I have owned was the 85 W250 w/360 auto. Bone stock, that thing would push snow better than any other.

I am growing quite fond of my current rig, a 99 PSD with a blizzard 810, but most of that benefit is the plow.

20. welj31

welj31 Member

yes it was wood that was the problem it split in half this was a 1/2 truck with a camper package