1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Steel Drop In Ballast

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Daner, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Rainy Day here today...So I decided to build a drop In ballast ,so I can drop It In with the skid steer or tractor

Its mostly all heavy 1/2" thick angle ,some 2x2 square stock and 1-1/4 plate

I use to just add pcs of steel every winter...and I thought It was getting to hard on the back

Notice That Its bolted to the bed ,so there no sliding around

I picked It up with the tractor using the lug In the center...then I moved some pcs of steel around so It was balanced

The bar sticking up In the air Is a handle to hang on to when your climbing In the bed of the truck

How much does It weigh?? good question...But that truck has the rear plow It weighs 330 lbs.

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Good idea and sweet shop!

3. Daner

more pics2222222222

IMG_3662.JPG

4. Daner

I scraped the ideia of those mounting tabs...I was to hard to get to the bolts under the bed...you wiill see the new ones I added

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking that it could be deeper and filled with cement.

6. Daner

new Ballast low center of gravity

more pics In the truck Installed........all left over pcs from jobswesporttymusic

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

02 with new ballast.jpg

7. Daner

New Ballast

If I need more weight I will add old crane track pins...I have lots of them

But I think Its going to be heavy enough the way It Iswesport

8. Daner

pic of new mounts

Ok ,Here's a pic of the new mounts that clip behind the bed

Ballast with new mounts 02 Dodge.jpg

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Pull plow isn't enough added weight to the back end?

10. Daner

It only weighs#330

I tryed It both ways last year...I work better with the added weight

note theres a V plow on the front of that truck

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Daner, I would invest in a shackle for that hole on your ballast that you lift from, as that metal will cut that nylon strap you are using.

12. Daner

Your right...and I have lots of shackles hanging up In the stock room

Good point and good eye

Daner

13. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

how do u like the arctic and what did u pay i am very interested in that setup ?

14. Daner

The Arctic Is great...and I forget what I paid...check with your dealerpayup

D

15. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey Daner.a friend of mine built kinda the same thing for his truck.He didn,t want to drill any holes so he came up with four swinging (cargo bar) screw jacks that swing in under the box edge and clamp between it and the floor.I wondered if it would bend the edge but so far it seems to be working for him.How do ya like your welder? I have the mate to it along with its sister tig machine aand love both of them.Talk to ya later.

16. Daner

I just wanted to make sure it wont fly through the cab If I hit something

Years ago I knew a rig welder that hit a tree one morning...the welding machine In the bed was not nailed down...It went right through the cab of the truck...tore the whole cab right off the truck.

Anyway that MiG machine works just fine for me...Its done some heavy fab work...and I also have the Lincoln tig machine...Have a good winterussmileyflagtymusic