1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a skid steer plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bossman 92, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys I am wanting to build a skid steer plow out of an older unimount that I have laying around the shop. Only problem is I don't know what I am doing. I assume I just need to get a universal skid attachment plate and have the plow welded to that. And then I will need to replace the hydro lines with ones that will connect into the skid loader. Once that is done it should hook right up and be ready to go correct?

Currently this skid has a BX 8 on it and we love it so far but this last storm was slop and the pusher kept running up on top of the crap. Took several passes to clean down to bare pavement.

Am I at least in the ball park on what needs to happen to make this work?

2. NThill93

NThill93 Member

i got a 5/16" universal mounting plate off eBay from titan attachments for $120 then bolted a plate with ears on it to the mounting plate. had hoses built at a local Napa with the quick disconnects. i also have a hook welded to the top of the mounting plate which is where the chain attaches to lift the plow

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your also forgetting about crossover valves.
    How is it going to lift?
    Is it going to have downpressure?

4. NThill93

NThill93 Member

it lifts via the chain hooked up to the mounting plate so as you tilt it lifts. didnt bother with crossovers and never had an issue. no down pressure needed for me it works fine the way it is

5. dieselss

Never hot anything yet I bet?

You may not need d.p. but maybe the o.p does.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Did one a few years back. You are on the right track.

I did mine with down pressure by welding a 3rd link from plow frame to top of skid loader plate. Allowed you to scrape a little better as you had the weight of the arms to help keep plow on ground.

I did have to install restrictors in the hydro lines as the skid loader pushed way to much fluid and would slam the plow back and forth when angling from left to right.

7. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I've hit tons of stuff no worse than hitting it with a bucket. well if the op needs down pressure hell have to figure that out on his own, i simply told him how i did mine. mine is also on a 753 and was on my 743 before that so it doesn't have high flow hydraulics like the new machines

8. dieselss

It's like insurance....you may never need it.
    Then one day wham.....

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't trust that guy, he's an idiot.............Thumbs Up

That's my old plow that I use around the shop, here's the one I built from scratch years ago, and still use commercially every snow fall. Shortly after cutting the bottom apart and straightening/re-enforcing it, I added the cross over relief valve. Should have listened and done it right away:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=79527

11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys! I have to see it to understand what needs to be done...sometimes drives my guys crazy lol. Thanks for the info going to order a plate this afternoon.

12. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Hear is a pic of one I made a few yrs ago

image.jpg

13. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

I just built a skid steer plow last year. I used an older 8 foot fisher straight blade. I cut the 3 hole mounting ears on it, tilted the plow up a bit then solid welded it to the bobtach plate. I went with the heavy duty plate from bob cat. Once the plow was welded to to the plate i made up some triangle gusset plates and welded them on top and bottom of the a frame where they meet the plate. The plow doesnt need any chains for lifting, as you use the lift arms and curl pistons to lift it. I did put two restrictors in the hyd lines to slow the angle down, then sand blasted and painted it. Works fantastic!