1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a salt bin with "Mafia Blocks"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

This is just a few pics to explain mafia blocks and building a salt bin. Me and Grassbusters only unloaded the blocks today but will be putting it together tomorrow.

Me guiding them, grass was taking pics,

DCP_0118.JPG

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

look at that beautiful old hough picken them up like nothing, For those of you that dont know they are 4000lbs a piece.

DCP_0119.JPG

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

a few more pics for your enjoyment..

DCP_0120.JPG

DCP_0121.JPG

DCP_0122.JPG

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Man I am so sorry about dropping that one on your foot:eek: How are you feeling :confused:

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Post some finished product picks when your done !!!! Thanks and good look

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Looks like you guys are starting to gear up. I wish that was the case here...66 degrees today!:realmad:
    I wanna see some finished pics

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Whats with the mini forklift with the fold up forks behind the cab of the tractor.

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

That woulda been nice, 66 degrees, it was like 35-40 with gusty winds.

Though this bin will not be the "great bin" because it will only be a temp, it is going in rented yard space and will be removed at the end of the season. The reason for it will be that it is right in the center of the salting operation. We have an estimated 14 tons going down per salt event. Time is everything in the middle of the storm. This will be a good example for easy and clean salt storage.

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I thought that was neet, I ment to ask him about that but never did. It was just some trucking company that Grassbusters hired to move the blocks. Im thinking he does a lot af pallet type work.

10. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Looks to be something similar to a hitch hiker.

11. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i see big alum. loading ramps on the trailer. He takes the forklift off and unloads the truck if there isn't a forklift @ the delivery site.

12. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

BNC. Nice old Hough! What did the mafia blocks go for if you dont mind saying. I gotta build something soon and i think those would be nice. doug

13. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Pretty cool. Please post pics when it is finished.

14. Vaughn Schultz

I paid $25.00 for each in the picture. Real nice, interlocking, heavy cable in it for moving. they are 2x2x6 and the are #4000 lbs

You can get the 4x4x4 for FREE but they are 10,000 lbs :p

15. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

The blocks are cheap, the trucking isnt, you need to get the blocks off the truck as fast as possible bc the trucks time is still ticking. then it starts to add up. you know how many blocks you had and how much the total cost was?

16. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

JUst called a local concrete company. They are $35.00 each here. SOunds cheap enough to me. Will get some this week.

17. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I was given a rather large plow contract on Jan 10. ( low bidder was unable to produce,) then my phone rang I Had to const a salt bin ASAP in January, this was all we had time to build, worked out great!!! we are looking to move it 20' to the right & install a concrete floor,

1120061350.jpg

18. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

When we built our bin.. we didnt really have to build it. The truck had a lift on it and the guy set all of the blocks for us. I mean to the inch, he measured made it square and all. We went 3 high 4 deep and 4 across the back, made a pretty sweet bin. For the blocks it cost $35.00 a piece that was delivered and set. It was amazing, we told him he didnt have to set them, and he said he didnt mind just throw in some lunch money for him, so we gave him 50 bucks for the whole day that it took him to set the blocks. Not a bad deal.

Ive talked to alot of guys that put their salt on concrete slabs, and they said they wish they had never spent the money to have concrete poured. I guess over a few yuears the concrete starts to bust apart and when they scoop salt the catch edges and stuff. My best idea would be to pave the area you plan to set salt on, should last a little longer i would imagine. Ours sits on the ground we just scoop about 4 inches off the ground stays away from rocks, yes we do loose salt due to the ground having moisture in it but hey.. you win some u lose some right.

19. Vaughn Schultz

Blocks 300 (12)
    Trucking 200

Total to date $500.00

TO be honest I could really use some more blocks, but BNC and I are going to mount some half inch treated ply wood to the sides to give it some more hight. This is not a permanent salt bin. This really isn't even are shop but we are renting this space because it is smack dab in the middle of a lots. Bolth other shops are about 15 min away and that 15 min can kill you when traffic is bad and your on the clock.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  20. Vaughn Schultz

KCAPXIS Were did you get you canopy ? Thats is just what I am looking for. I have found alot of "car ports" that I think could work but prices are all over the board $300-$1800 :dizzy: Not really sure were to start. I need one 12x24