1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a new sand shed.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Buswell Forest, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have added 10 commercial accounts, to go with the 3 I had. All will require sanding after each event. So, I need a barn / shed to keep at least 40 yards in under cover.

What mistakes do I want to avoid?

My idea is a 16' x 20' structure, shed roof length ways with metal roofing.
    2' x 2' x 4' concrete blocks to form a containment box 2' tall, and 10' wooden walls on that. 2x6 hemlock planking on the inside to form the containment walls above the concrete
    12' opening, wide enough for a tri axle to back through, 2' walls either side of the opening for structural support. (Thus making it 16' wide)
    I have this idea that I can hinge the roof, so it can be lifted up for sand delivery. A series of pullys and 5/16" cable and a boat winch to raise it.
    I only want this crazy idea because I do not want to ferry the sand into the shed one small tractor bucket @ a time every delivery.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Lost me with cable.....u going shovel the snow off the roof 1st?

Have the base higher then surrounding ground

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You're over complicating it. Just build a pole barn, and pave the floor. Make it big enough to hold double what you think you'll use next season, and tall enough for a live bottom to deliver. Sliding barn door tracks are cheap too. Amazingly I found an old commercial garage door opener and now just push a button to open and close.
    [​IMG]

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice pole barn.....But, that might be a wee bit more than he might want to spend....

Concrete blocks with wood sides and a roof higher in front and sloped towards the back will work just fine.....

Have deliverys dumped in the entrance and push the Salt/ Sand into the bin....

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I would also go at least two blocks high on the containment wall....Maybe even three....One oops with the loader bucket and you replacing some of that Hemlock....

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, nice set up!

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Go wider & deeper. I had the same thought wanting about 40 ton capacity (a flowboy load & a little reserve). My bin is 12x20, I currently tarp the pile... It sucks but works, it works but if the driver is off your screwed. As far as "pushing it back" it doesn't work, my 873 bobcat couldn't do it at least when one driver didn't back into bin far enough. I would go 20 x 24. At least that's what I'm going to expand to. Right now I have 6x6 posts 4' on center with 2x6 walls. My plan is to go to 3 mafia block tall walls, with a coverall.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

was only $25000 for 40x60x14 built by a meninite fellow and his sons, put extra poles for the side weight distribution....basically how they build fertilizer bins

9. Mr.Markus

This one is built over the original, which was similar to what the op is describing. Just pointing out that it is easier and cheaper to do right the first time. Costs only go up.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

my barn

barn.jpg

barn.jpg

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If the driver screws up and dumps forward of the back wall its no big deal. 5 minutes of pushing sideways on the pile until you can reach half of the back of the salt pile. From there its 5 minutes of stacking and bucketing.

12. Mr.Markus

13. Buswell Forest

from NH

I want to hinge the roof to avoid 3 hours of phauking around with the 1710 Ford tractor. I will be on hand for all deliveries, and will be certain he backs all the way in. The roof will be sloped @ a 10:1 pitch, and will be new steel. It should slide the snow right off without issue. I figure 4 pullies in series with a large boat trailer crank will be more than enough to lift it, and I will anchor the first pully 30' up in a big pine tree behind the shed. If the crank is still out gunned, I will just use my truck.
    I only have the 13 sand accounts, and maybe 4 or 5 more if we get a really bad ice event. I do not foresee needing more than 40 yards as a baseline. When I get down to 20, I will make a call.
    Also, I do not have the space or money to build bigger. As it is, I need a variance from the planning board for this one. 35' set back rule. Not willing to give up what little useable open space I have. It's going on my property line, one way or another.

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

I like the paved floor Idea. And I might use 3x3x3 blocks for the base.

15. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you buying pre mixed salt sand?

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

I didn't plan on it, but maybe. I thought I would add salt by the bag as I load the sand.

17. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

go 3 block high on side walls and 4 or 5 high on rear wall so you can pile higher on the back wall.if you pave the floor put 2 inch pitch in for ever 10 feet of length so water gets out works perfertly in our 60 footer. why not a coverall building? make the door 14 feet wide any narrower is a accident wating to happen. trust me been there done that. fixing narrow doors cost money and time.2x2x6 blocks will work fine.

18. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

So you'll still have 3 hours of tractor work mixing the salt with sand. I think that whole raise the roof idea is a little over the top for a salt shed FWIW.

19. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The cheapest and effective building I have found and have had two of them are steel car ports mounted on concrete blocks. Place the blocks and order any size you need or height and they will come and install them right there. They will have it up in 3-4 hours and it looks good, is durable. You can have the sides and back with steel or put your own on. My barn holds 50 ton and was under 2 grand. Plus you can take it down and move it pretty easy if need be.

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't think green bay sees hurricanes to often......

Good luck with a hinged roof.....