1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a new controller...!??!?!?!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pooleo8, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

It seems as tho the transmitter/reciever has failed on my sno-way. And at $600 or whatever to get a new wireless setup, im thinking of how I can build a controller myself.

The idea I think is pretty simple, 5 momentary buttons or part of a PS2/3 controller, hooked to relays and each relay would power the respective coil on the plow.

Not sure but I think diodes would need to be used to control the flow of current, since a few relays would power a couple coils.

And of course power to the pump motor.

Thoughts?

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

This has bad wrtten all over it!
    How are you going to figure which wire on the controller goes to which button?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to add a few diodes to that drawing,

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Would like to know how this turns pooleo

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

yeah, diodes for sure. I dont think the wiring of the buttons should be to hard to figure out, well see.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be a downer, but I don't think this will work. But I've surprised myself before too.
    One more thing, geting shocked bites and sends a very electrifying feeling through the body so make sure the it's disconnected from the battery

8. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

10-4! lol

It seems to not be so bad. You power the coils, the plow moves. I see there is a used transmistter/reciever on ebay for $200. I may look into this, but dont have the coin for it right now.

Surely someone has an old one from when they changed out to wireless....?! :)

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It can be done:nod::cool: It's just not straight forward. Think more 50/60 circuitry. Your drawing is in someways too complicated and in others not complicated enough. If you are trying to build an analog system then you don't need the relays if you want to use the PS2 controller than you need the relays and the analog junction box on the plow.

Consider repair. You add a LOT of extra connections to make this work. the hours alone make it "expensive" lots of solder and heat shrink though using relay panels in the beginning makes sorting it out easier. Then there is repairing it during a storm. Not as hard with the straight analog but tougher if you add the PS2 controller and all the issues it brings and only you will understand it. Remember to make a drawing and keep track of color codes and diode specifications/direction (I'd make the diodes easily removable for in field repair purposes) and use heat shrink low temperature solder wire ends or solder everything and seal in heat shrink.

Theoretically it could be wired into a Meyer slick stic (adding a DP on/off switch) but the dual switch controls with the DP switch in the headlight switch spot works nice. Again a lot of work, part cost total will surprise you, it's more complicated then the standard three cartridge systems.