1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a little dump trailer

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Holland, May 6, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Some of you guys might remember, but a while back i got an old 88 ford with a dump bed on it. Been using it and lending it out, and found out i love the bed, but hate the truck! haha Anyways, for something that sits around more than it drives, i hate to pay for plates, insurance and extra up keep a vehicle demands. I dont use a dump very often, but when i do its handy to have. So.. I decided i'm going to build a trailer!

Been keeping my eyes peeled for an old trailer i could use to put under the bed. Was surprised when i found this thing! Its a 9 ft gooseneck skidloader trailer. Even though i will have to put a different axle(s) under it, i picked it up for a whopping 125 bucks. I'll keep you guys updated as i go. Plates are off the truck so i hope to keep this project moving along.

The trailer.

[​IMG]

And the bed going on it.

[​IMG]

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've never seen a goose neck trailer like that. Very interesting. You may have to take a section out of the piece that goes from the trailer up the neck part. Looks like it could use a gusset from the hitch to the neck, too.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Yea, its a home made trailer, but its built pretty well. I plan on adding some gussets too. I dont know if i will have to remove any section yet or not, it currently sits pretty close to the top of my bed when its hooked up. Guess it depends how much the new axle or axles lift it. My current plan is to mount the bed (8ft) towards the rear of the trailer and use the left over foot in the front to mount the pump and battery. Should turn out good, i dont want alot stuck in it, but i dont want a cobble job either!

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

that should be a nice little trailer

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Ya I've never seen something like that either, suscribed for progress updates, I think it would be a cool little dumper. Keep us updated!!

6. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure to take lots of pictures :D

7. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Picked up the axles yesterday, one step closer to getting started. Hopefully i can round up a set of rims this week. I'll do my best to take pictures!

8. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:subscribed...

9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Well I got started last night! Got the floor cut off it and flipped it over after i had everything cut off the top. Started getting the current wheels cut off, and got the "new" axles unloaded. Pretty productive few hours. Bit more cutting and alot of grinding to go, but so far its not going too bad. Hope to have tear down done sat afternoon. I'll keep the updates coming!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Wow... Cant believe someone would put a skid steer on that trailer... Single axel?!?! YIKES

11. BC Handyman

I don't think it could have been used for a SS cause it only got a few bolts on rims so I'm thinking it was a 3500lb max gvwr

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I disagree. It could have been made for a small gas job Bobcat SS. They don't weigh much compared to their big brothers.

13. BC Handyman

I don't know what the smallest bobcats weigh so I'll believe it could have been used for one, but I do know that I'd feel alot better driving behind that thing when it has 2 axles on it :)

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You and I both.

15. f250harvest

f250harvest Member
    from CT

When I bought my 6x10 trailer, The owner said he put a small SS on it for landscaping. Not sure what it was though. Havent done it personally but im sure its possible.
    [​IMG]

16. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Got the wheels cut off, and starting to get the frame cleaned up. Got the ford down to the shop too. Found out ive got a few small things to work out before the bed can go on, but its coming along!

17. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i bet that trailer was used for moving a small asphalt roller, not a skid steer.

18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Got a little work done on the trailer this weekend. Didnt get to spend much time with it since I spend the majority of my weekend helping a buddy of mine on his house. Heres where I'm at so far.

[​IMG]

At least its upright again!

[​IMG]

19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

looks a little close to the ground, and i think those "wheels" will give it a rough ride.!! :D

20. Holland

Holland Senior Member

haha still have to find a set of rims. Just needed it flipped up to finish welding! Thumbs Up