1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Garage.....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Well after many years my dad and I decided we/he needed more space. We are going with a Pioneer Pole Building 30 x 32 with carriage doors and a few upgrades.

I since have moved away and have my own house, but I have no room on my property to build a garage, he has 3 acres and has volunteered some land Thumbs Up

We have about a dozen trees to take down and need about 8-10 tri-axles of fill, we should have the building up in a month

Started the clearing this week.....

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Lookin good so far. What are you doing with the tree? If I were close I'd come and pick them up for this winter for my parents Central Boiler.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Lookin good, on your new building, heated floors, high ceilings, big doors, and make it as big as you can. Just my 2 cents
  4. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

keep us updated and posting pics!! :)
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cutting down your own trees to make the lumber,can't wait to see the finished project!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  6. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

when you get a load of free time, go ahead and check out garagejournal.com you might be unhappy with the amount of time you will spend on there, but you will definitely get some help and a lot of good idea's.
  7. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

Looking good
  8. MatthewG

Ok did some more work tonight. Borrowed my uncles chipper instead of burning the brush, wow it really is so much easier.

Cut the last of the big trees. Tomorrow we sign the contract with Pioneer and on Tuesday we got the permit.

Mom shot a movie of me in the JD pushing over the big tree as dad cut, I will post that once it loads to youtube.

The pictures are boring I know, but soon the Dozer will be here to rip out stumps and grade.

9. KPZ Enterprises

KPZ Enterprises Member

thats all uv done so far? lol- lookn good man, keep taking pics 4 us.
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

not a bad size to get started with we have a 24 x 30 wish we built it bigger lol but we have a second floor for a work shop /storageone thing i wish we did do is make it higher and put big doors in.
  11. MatthewG

All trees down, all stumps out, and first loads of fill delivered

I think we are 3 weeks out until they come to build this thing

12. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

what kinda of pricing did you get for a shop that size??
  13. MatthewG

With some upgrades like 10w x 9h garage doors with lites, eaves and gables, insulated roof, two tone color, a few other things, the garage itself only built on our lot is $13,318, the excavating is $2,500 and the concrete will be $2,375 Need a truckload of 2B stone for concrete about $300

Until its done it will be 19K with us doing the electric
  14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you said you where going to put carriage-swing out doors on? is that common for garages down your way ? why not go with some insulated roll ups that look like carriage doors ?
  15. MatthewG

That's what i meant, but those got ixnayed by the guy and lady who own the land for some really dumb reason
  16. MatthewG

OK moving right along, all level and ready for the build. Honestly it is allot more of a drop off than we expected, after it is all built we will get the dozer back for final grade and topsoil

Needs to really settle drove my skid steer on it and it was like mush

17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice pictures. That's a nice dozer to. I'm looking forward to seing more pictures.
  18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what are you doing for a floor? pouring a slab? how thick of a slab? with all that fill you brought in, how deep do you need to go down to get to virgin soil for your poles to sit on? hopefully its all compacted really well, or you may have issues with your floor cracking once it settles.
  19. MatthewG

Yes everything you mentioned we know and are concerned about.

1. I wanted a compactor on site, but the excavator came sooner than expected and the compactor was not there.

2. Slab will be 4" but closer to 8" by the garage doors, the whole floor will be mesh reinforced.

3. We may wait a couple of months before we pour the floor so we can drive on it and allow mother nature to settle

4. The pad is built up almost 5 feet towards the back, I dont think anyone has an auger that deep to get to virgin soil, but I wish/hope they do.

5. Really hoping for some good rain to help settle the fill
  20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I take it you had to buy fill for the garage. i would of filled in more around the sides for future expantion and or extra parking always try to think ahead , from the pics hard to belive it is level now vs before lol.