1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Facility

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by capital, Feb 27, 2004.

1. capital

capital Senior Member

Hope some of you will take the time to let me know what you would do if you were going to build a facility, or if have, what you wish you had changed in your original thinking.
    I currently run 3 landscaping crews in the summer, one flower bed crew and no mowing crews. I have a total of 7 trucks and two skid loaders. I am not planning on putting any of the trucks inside except in the winter two of the sanding / ice melt trucks inside and both skid loaders. I am hoping to go retail the following year as timing is not quite right for retail since building will not be ready til June. Let me known if you have any thoughts on out lay or suggestions regarding things to watch for. Please also keep in mind the need for storage of bulk salt and or sand and if how far from the building you would keep this.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Re: Salt shed. You want to check any State and EPA regulations regarding placement (usually in reference to water source and property boundary) and construction (reference to capacity and prevention of runoff). As for sand, you might also check State regulations regarding the use of sand. I have heard that some states (Maine in particular) are trying to make illegal the use of sand as treatment for snow and ice .
  3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

A wash bay would be high on my list. So you can keep things clean and wash all the salt off the salters.

Just a thought,
    Mark K
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I agree with Mick. First thing to do is check with state & local building codes. If you are going to have on-site fuel storage also check with you insurance agent about proper distance of tanks to buildings. A wash bay & floor drains is a must, even if you don't have the wash bay still include some floor drains. Sounds like Mark K has had some expierence at the car wash when it is real cold. In my farm shop I have a large capacity air compressor with hose reels and I don't know how we would get along without it. In my opion I would get by with minimum shelf space so you don't tend to stock a lot of parts that will get lost over time. Shelving tends to atract junk!